Who now then?...

I honestly think Gundogan is capable of doing a fine job there when required. It's not ideal but I wouldn't be devastated with us using Ilkay there until we identify a successor to Fernandinho, whether that be in January or next summer.
Agreed and he is more like Jorginho than Fern, so could see the tactics Pep wanted him for being displayed

I rewatched the Spurs away game recently. Delph was inverted and mainly took up the space a left sided CM would. In possession we were really good. Gundogan played a few though balls that can beat a press like the one where Sterling got a penalty for the 2nd goal. There were a few times where you thought we need Dinho there defensively, but overall the whole team worked hard tracking back. Sane, Sterling, Silva and De Bruyne all sprinting and defending when needed. Having Delph take up the space a CM would helped a lot on counter attacks. So if we play Gundogan, Delph has to play LB and invert or maybe Danilo on the right because he's better in possession than Walker IMO.

Last edited:
I rewatched the Spurs away game recently. Delph was inverted and mainly took up the space a left sided CM would. In possession we were really good. Gundogan played a few though balls that can beat a press like the one where Sterling got a penalty for the 2nd goal. There were a few times where you thought we need Dinho there defensively, but overall the whole team worked hard tracking back. Sane, Sterling, Silva and De Bruyne all sprinting and defending when needed. Having Delph take up the space a CM would helped a lot on counter attacks. So if we play Gundogan, Delph has to play LB and invert or maybe Danilo on the right because he's better in possession than Walker IMO.
It's in the champions league I worry. We'll get away with it against most teams in the premier league because the rest of the side is good enough to compensate.
When we come up against a team that press like Liverpool I worry

It's in the champions league I worry. We'll get away with it against most teams in the premier league because the rest of the side is good enough to compensate.
When we come up against a team that press like Liverpool I worry
Agreed against the Dippers in the CL at Anfield that's when we need the Jorginho type of player imo, someone who can retain the ball against an intense press.

We tried him there last year and the drop off in quality was significant

Games Gundogan played as a single pivot DM
  1. Arsenal (A) 3-0
  2. Chelsea (H) 1-0
  3. Spurs (A) 3-1
  4. Swansea (H) 5-0

I think the position suits him. Doesn't mean he will always be the answer there (Burnley A, for example) but Jorginho wouldn't have been either.

1. Arsenal (A) 3-0
  2. Chelsea (H) 1-0
  3. Spurs (A) 3-1
  4. Swansea (H) 5-0

I think the position suits him. Doesn't mean he will always be the answer there (Burnley A, for example) but Jorginho wouldn't have been either.

Looks like a bloody good record to me, especially given three of those sides are top 6. Maybe we don’t need anyone else there at all, just use Gundogan if Fern is out.

1. Arsenal (A) 3-0
  2. Chelsea (H) 1-0
  3. Spurs (A) 3-1
  4. Swansea (H) 5-0

snigger, yeah but apart from those games :)

1. Arsenal (A) 3-0
  2. Chelsea (H) 1-0
  3. Spurs (A) 3-1
  4. Swansea (H) 5-0

Doesn't look too shabby considering the claim is that " the drop off in quality was significant " ?

Problem is if Zinchenko leaves then who will Gundogan pass sideways to 80 times a match?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.