Ilkay Gundogan - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why on earth are you comparing Gundogan to all four of our wingers?

In our squad, Ilkay is behind David and Kevin and ahead of Phil. He's a backup to our two main midfielders and, although the quality of personnel may drop when he replaces either of those two, every club in our league would love to have him as a backup option. Do you know why? Because he's extremely talented.

You said David was the best player to wear a City shirt and it's pretty fucking obvious that Gundogan isn't going to top that. However, he filled in when David was having issues last season and did well.

I seriously have no idea why you've tried so hard to take issue with such a vanilla comment where someone has effectively stated that they're glad to have him as a squad player.
So you accept he is our least effective midfielder. By a fair margin imo.

Gundogan would walk into any other team in the league. The problem is, we're so used to seeing De Bruyne and Silva that the majority of the time he's destined to fall short of their standards. He looks much better, for me, playing as a pivote in the space Fernandinho usually occupies. In that role he's arguably the closest thing to Busquets we've ever had. And I love him as a pivote. They used to say he couldn't do it against top teams, but he bossed Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham at the end of last season.

Gundogan would walk into any other team in the league. The problem is, we're so used to seeing De Bruyne and Silva that the majority of the time he's destined to fall short of their standards. He looks much better, for me, playing as a pivote in the space Fernandinho usually occupies. In that role he's arguably the closest thing to Busquets we've ever had. And I love him as a pivote. They used to say he couldn't do it against top teams, but he bossed Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham at the end of last season.

Fernandiniho FFS lol . Gundog need to learn how to tackle first. Talk about seeing a player through rose tinted spectacles.

Not him for certain. 9 out of 10 times he came on for Dave and the game just ebbed away and we lost our passing attacking football. You would have noticed that if you were there!

9 times out of 10 eh? Guess I had to be there.

You do know that no one has claimed he's Silva's equal right? The claim was made that he could help lighten his load.

Fernandiniho FFS lol . Gundog need to learn how to tackle first. Talk about seeing a player through rose tinted spectacles.
You're a fucking weirdo if you hate Gundogan so much that you can't see he'd be good in a position that HE PLAYED VERY WELL IN half a dozen times last season.

Imo Gundogan struggles when pressed same as everyone else.

The games he's played 'well' in is where he hasn't been pressed very much at all.

He should be able to fill in for Fernandinho but imo the Gundogan we signed was a presser rather than a pressee & that's the player it would be nice to see again rather than non tackling version of Fernandinho or a watered down passing version of Jorginho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.