Do not loan out Diaz and Foden

Name me a time Diaz has been given a full start with the first team players like Rashford has?

With fans having this kind of attitude, no wonder these kids never get a chance.

Never, because we have a much better and deeper squad than anyone else in the league. Alexander-Arnold got gametime at Liverpool because Clyne was injured and he was the next best thing. Rashford only got a chance at United because both of their other strikers were injured.

If Sané gets a long-term injury we have Sterling who can play there, if Sterling is injured we have Mahrez or Bernardo. If Silva or De Bruyne is injured we have Bernardo or Gundogan. If Aguero goes down we can replace him with Jesus and vice-versa. We also have four top quality centre-backs when only two play at the same time, and two capable fullbacks for each side.

The downside of playing youth is that it's near-impossible for Pep to give a young player regular starts in this side without leaving out a more experienced, more valuable and higher-paid senior player, which will only lead to them getting pissed off.

It's a really tricky one this. I'm bloody delighted we've bought Mahrez who is brilliant. Last season I was bloody delighted we bought Bernardo who is brilliant.

I want Foden and Diaz to fulfil their obvious potential with us, but do we as a fanbase have the patience for that - would be accept a season of them being inconsistent as starters or do we want instant success?

The answer is both and I think the plan this year will be to integrate the pair of them slowly by reducing Silva's minutes and by possibly adapting the system. I hope so anyway.

It's a really tricky one this. I'm bloody delighted we've bought Mahrez who is brilliant. Last season I was bloody delighted we bought Bernardo who is brilliant.

I want Foden and Diaz to fulfil their obvious potential with us, but do we as a fanbase have the patience for that - would be accept a season of them being inconsistent as starters or do we want instant success?

The answer is both and I think the plan this year will be to integrate the pair of them slowly by reducing Silva's minutes and by possibly adapting the system. I hope so anyway.

If we are anywhere near where we were last season, we will be good enough to enjoy the luxury of giving young players some decent playing time.

We could have done it last season without any problem but most of the best kids were away on loan & the remainder a bit young. We did actually get through an away leg in the cup whilst using several.

No excuses now.

Allegedly(according to the Telegraph)......we aren't pursuing another midfielder this season which would suggest Pep is happy with what he has.This would seem like great news as far as both Foden and Diaz ( maybe others too) are concerned,as their attributes and inclusion are obviously a part of that thinking.

The Academy is affiliated to MCFC. It's not just a production line of talent. It should have a primary aim of developing talent for the City first team.
No you’re wrong
MCFC is about winning trophies and making money, not ensuring some needy folk can say they saw a fourteen year old become a superstar.
I’m sure we’d all like it, but I much prefer seeing us win and keeping our stars than losing and seeing them leave to pay the debts.

I beleive we should be leaving one spot on the bench free for Foden and Diaz, maybe we alternate them each week.
There will be enough games where we are 3 goals up with 30 minutes left and these are the games where we need to make a point of giving them the minutes.

Good question.

This is just my opinion as a fan as to what the aims and objectives of City's Football Academy should be:

Primary goal
To develop and nurture young footballers for the first team of Manchester City.

I don't mind how City are successful. Does it matter whether the player who scores the winning goal comes from Wythenshawe or Buenos Aires, but having a strong Academy has advantages:

1) It's another way of recruiting players for the first team. You can develop a way of playing throughout the age groups that should in theory make it easier for the players to transition into the first team. Certain teams like Barcelona have a very well known way of playing, and I hope City are doing the same.

2) You can plan ahead. The age profile of the first team is a given. In 4 or 5 years time X, Y and Z will be past their best. The academy can be used as a way of managing playing resources

3) It creates an identity. You look at the World Cup. There are teams like Croatia which are not particularly outstanding players, but they play absolutely to their maximum because they are intensely proud of their background. We all know that last season, what made City a special team was that never say die attitude. If you have players who have grown up with City, it is easier to foster than sense of belonging.

4) It creates a connection with the fans and the City which produced the club.

5) I think it would improve the first team, by providing the energy and dynamism of youth. Older players can start taking life for granted. We can all think of players whose goal it was just to play for a top side, and as soon as they got here, they played like a shadow of their former selves.

6) You give young players a visible pathway to first team football it will improve the Academy no end.

7) Hope lifts people. Spirit and mentality counts as much as innate talent. Innate talent is nothing unless the individual applies himself and people do that when they can see that if they do work hard they can achieve something.

I am sure this is just the start.

Secondary goal
To produce an economic return for the football club, which I believe it is already beginning to do. You have to get the balance right though. If young prospective players see that the club is just going to farm them out to satellite clubs and does not have a record of progression through to the first team then the talent of the future intake will drop and they will go elsewhere where they believe they have a better chance of development.

Anyone who wonders what I am on about should consider Kylian Mbappe. He had all kinds of offers as a young player but chose Monaco because he believed that he would get opportunities there in the first team.
Whilst FI has congratulated you for the effort you’ve put in I believe your Primary goal is not correct.
The primary aim should to be to develop all of the players within the Academy so they are able to pursue their dreams of becoming professional footballers.
From that we may get the odd one who plays for this City team.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.