Sterling’s contract - three year extension confirmed

As a yank, maybe I'm coming at this from a different angle but it seems to me every agent should tell their client to wind their contract down.

Every dollar spent on a transfer is one less a club is willing to tack on a players contract.

It's the reason the FFP 2.0 (the 100m transfer cap) wont have the intended effect. It will be a great day for players though.

From Citys perspective it boxes them in a corner. Jacking his contract up to 250k a week is peanuts compared to buying his replacement, even if they pay him half as much. But where does that end? If you cave once, it sets a precedent.

That he does, but it doesn't really matter how much Pep values Raheem at the end of the day.

It's purely a fiscal standpoint. On the one side, we have our club, who are concerned that an expensive asset is depreciating by the week, through no fault of their own.

We made a move five months ago to cover this base, so we are right to question the motives of his agent, Aidy Ward, who used exactly the same stalling tactics at Liverpool to manufacture what they wanted.

It wouldn't matter if Raheem's agent behaved like Seluk but otherwise Pep was a footballer not so long ago himself and understands the contract side of the game. Valuing him means he will want to do everything possible to keep him, within reason - providing it isn't unreasonable demands or an unreasonable agent. I am sure, in the bigger picture, he is just as intent to keep the club clear of agents who are a nuisance as he is to field a free flowing & attacking football team.

Still, I think there is no reason to believe this will go south - it'll be resolved without incident, IMHO

I am also reluctant to believe the rumours of him being sold next summer could possibly be coming from City management

I would just explain to him that if he doesn't sign, we are a constantly evolving club always planning for the future, so if he doesn't sign he will see his playing time significantly reduced and would drop right down the pecking order, behind the likes of Diaz.

I would just explain to him that if he doesn't sign, we are a constantly evolving club always planning for the future, so if he doesn't sign he will see his playing time significantly reduced and would drop right down the pecking order, behind the likes of Diaz.

Yeah man bully him into signing!

Boon
Thing is Dom, his performances for City, going forward, don't really come into the equation as such when contracts do get to this stage.

He knows, as do we, that he could not play for 12 months and he is still holding the blackmail cards, simply because of our original outlay and what he will only be worth to us in terms of a sale with only a year left.

He's a £100m asset to us as things currently stand - next summer - he can sit on his hands and know we won't get much more than
That's what I'm saying. We get Raheem to sign up and it could be the difference between generating an extra £50m from a possible sale.

Still think Pep would want another top forward to supplement Jesus in a couple years time.

If he was up for sale no one will be paying 100m for him not even 80m with the wages he wants.

I can only see Chelsea interested, they paid 40mil for Drinkwater ffs, we better get 100mil at least for Sterling if he does leave. However if we are selling to Chelsea, and Hazard hasn't moved to Madrid, maybe we could sort a deal. Hazard's contract expires with Sterling's in 2020, so a swap (like Alexis & Mkhitaryan) would be beneficial for both clubs rather than selling them for below market value. I hope Sterling the contract though, we've still yet to see the best of him

I get that mate, just having a dig at the Telegraph article writer who came to the conclusion that Sterling fears his performances at World Cup cost him.
It was always a sensible gamble for Sterling, Jesus, and Sane to hold off on their new contracts till after the world cup in case one of them had a stormer. I don't blame them for this it would have been stupid to agree a deal before the tournament. However I think it was a gamble that has not paid off for any of them. That's business for you.

It was always a sensible gamble for Sterling, Jesus, and Sane to hold off on their new contracts till after the world cup in case one of them had a stormer. I don't blame them for this it would have been stupid to agree a deal before the tournament. However I think it was a gamble that has not paid off for any of them. That's business for you.

Agree, their positions haven't been strengthened by their performances but they're not in a worse position, sensible gamble from their pov.

Agree, their positions haven't been strengthened by their performances but they're not in a worse position, sensible gamble from their pov.
I would disagree. By stating you are waiting till after the wc would tell the club he will be expecting better terms as he will be showcasing myself to the world

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.