Sterling’s contract - three year extension confirmed

Pep has done brilliantly to get what he has from him. His finishing is still as poor as ever though, I honestly can't see that ever changing.
I think people have to quite possibly reconcile themselves to this. Once they do, and balance it against all the many positives he brings to the team, they may start to appreciate and enjoy him more than they presently do; overall, he is a worthwhile asset to the club, notwithstanding his sub-standard finishing.

I think people have to quite possibly reconcile themselves to this. Once they do, and balance it against all the many positives he brings to the team, they may start to appreciate and enjoy him more than they presently do; overall, he is a worthwhile asset to the club, notwithstanding his sub-standard finishing.
That's about it in a nutshell alright.

Fair enough, other areas have drastically improved in that case and should be recognised more. His finishing may always be sub standard but last season he more than made up for it with the other assets he brings to the table.

Statistically he went from a 17% conversion rate in 16/17 to a 27% conversion rate in 17/18 whilst increasing his number of shots per game, he's doing something right as them numbers are up there with the best of them.

Fair enough, other areas have drastically improved in that case and should be recognised more. His finishing may always be sub standard but last season he more than made up for it with the other assets he brings to the table.

Statistically he went from a 17% conversion rate in 16/17 to a 27% conversion rate in 17/18 whilst increasing his number of shots per game, he's doing something right as them numbers are up there with the best of them.
Whilst stats serve a useful purpose, I trust what my own eyes tell me just as much; his finishing is the weakest part of his attacking game.

Whilst stats serve a useful purpose, I trust what my own eyes tell me just as much; his finishing is the weakest part of his attacking game.

I'm not arguing otherwise, I'm saying the accolades he should receive for the other facets of his game ( which see him score so many) aren't forthcoming, the focus is just on his finishing and the rest is overlooked by many.

It is a crying shame,deep down I know it,but I'm not led by media bullshit,I make my own mind up,but you know I watched the Centurions on Sky,a celebration of the incredible season we had,but during all the goals and celebrations,it still managed to show 3 big misses Sterling had............on what was meant to be a celebration doc surely.................as though I needed reminding of the misses

as we have obviously seen recently he benefits from being in this team. Someone done a comparison to how Pedro was at barca in a pep team and how he benefited from that. I think the same is with Sterling, his movement makes him shine in this team. His finishing is dreadful, throw enough shit some of it will stick. If you’re gifted 3/4 chances a game you’ll score. Don’t then start with missed chances stats that no one knows how they work them out. He will score a good amount of goals next season again unless Mahrez keeps him out of the team, couldn’t get more opposite players.
We all know you don't rate him and I agree he needs to improve on his finishing. But his pros outweigh his cons and Pep rates him and he deserves his place in the team

I'm not arguing otherwise, I'm saying the accolades he should receive for the other facets of his game ( which see him score so many) aren't forthcoming, the focus is just on his finishing and the rest is overlooked by many.

It is by supporters of other clubs certainly. The number of arguments I’ve had on the subject during the World Cup has been nobody’s business. As others have said, his ability to play in tight areas, to run in behind and anticipate what’s coming, to win free kicks, and generally occupy the opposition, are all attributes that saw him flourish last season and make him a valuable asset to us, but are routinely ignored by those who’ve swallowed the Sun’s narrative. The finishing though is an issue, particularly when put clean through with time to think about his options, as are the occasional heavy touches that see him overrun the ball in promising positions. As has been said though, criticism of those aspects of his game on Blue Moon can often lead to overreactions in some posters, particularly those who’ve previously hailed him as a potential Balon D’Or winner when he’s plainly not at that level.
As regards a new contract, we certainly don’t want him leaving because he brings a particularly valuable skill set, but neither do we need to be held to ransom. Wages wise I don’t see anyone being prepared to offer him significantly more than he’s already getting, and I expect him to sign a new deal with us eventually

It is by supporters of other clubs certainly. The number of arguments I’ve had on the subject during the World Cup has been nobody’s business. As others have said, his ability to play in tight areas, to run in behind and anticipate what’s coming, to win free kicks, and generally occupy the opposition, are all attributes that saw him flourish last season and make him a valuable asset to us, but are routinely ignored by those who’ve swallowed the Sun’s narrative. The finishing though is an issue, particularly when put clean through with time to think about his options, as are the occasional heavy touches that see him overrun the ball in promising positions. As has been said though, criticism of those aspects of his game on Blue Moon can often lead to overreactions in some posters, particularly those who’ve previously hailed him as a potential Balon D’Or winner when he’s plainly not at that level.
As regards a new contract, we certainly don’t want him leaving because he brings a particularly valuable skill set, but neither do we need to be held to ransom. Wages wise I don’t see anyone being prepared to offer him significantly more than he’s already getting, and I expect him to sign a new deal with us eventually
Good sensible post!

as we have obviously seen recently he benefits from being in this team. Someone done a comparison to how Pedro was at barca in a pep team and how he benefited from that. I think the same is with Sterling, his movement makes him shine in this team. His finishing is dreadful, throw enough shit some of it will stick. If you’re gifted 3/4 chances a game you’ll score. Don’t then start with missed chances stats that no one knows how they work them out. He will score a good amount of goals next season again unless Mahrez keeps him out of the team, couldn’t get more opposite players.

Clear you were desperate for a response so great post....

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.