Should we all wear black at funerals or ...

Funerals are just wrong.
Everyone turning up morbid, the whole ceremony is depressing. Then you have to witness your loved one being burnt or buried. With everyone in tears.

Who would want that on their family and loved ones ?

I’ve said to my family. Chuck me in a skip and have a big party.
Small, medium or large ?
Skip-Hire-Sizes-infographic-sm.jpg

or maybe a wheelie bin !

cart-dimensions-3-sizes-500x252.jpg

I completely agree with Colin Brazier.
He sums up the disrespectful peacocks perfectly.
Surely, it is up to the deceased's final wishes as to how he wants his send off. My girls already know what I want, and it isn't in black. The only disrespect shown is the person wearing black when the dress code as requested by the deceased is for something different.
"Disrespectful peacocks"? The year now is 2018, not 1818.

I would always respectfully wear black, unless asked otherwise.
My mates dad’s funeral request was for City shirts to be worn by anyone who owned one. God bless you Neil.
Basically echoes what I said earlier. The last funeral was the man I'd sat next to in the ground for the last 10 years.
He was 82 and departed in his City shirt to the entrance music of The Boys in Blue, and as we left to the Marcelles version of Blue Moon. His choice.

its up to the deceased family.

I have been to way too many funerals recently, my family and friends need to stop dying

When my Dad died last year we suggested a dress code of respectful but not necessarily black. I wore a navy dress and jacket and my brother wore a dark suit and the paisley kipper tie that dad had worn to his wedding to our mum. He looked like a complete knobhead but he got some laughs and it was a reminder of happier days. Especially as he then went on to only drink Dad's favourite single malt at the wake and was shitfaced after an hour!

Its what Dad would have wanted but I also know that my mum would be a stickler for tradition and she'd want all black and probably hats on the ladies as well. A very formal affair in a church with quiet respect and contemplation.

By comparison when my 18 year old nephew died 8 years ago it was dress down casual, rap music and stella all day.

For me I'd like to die by a single shot to the heart fired by the wife of my much younger lover. And a church full of flowers and Nimrod played live by the Halle.

I guess what I'm saying is that its the right of the deceased and their family to set the tone and hopefully that won't be a million miles away from what friends and acquaintances would expect. Horses for courses :-)

Witnessed a funeral on the Greek island of Paros many years ago, the hearse was an old rusty Nissan pickup, the altar boy was sat next to the coffin on the way. They arrived at the church, popped the lid off the coffin and carried the old soul in. Was one of the most surreal things I've ever seen.
Couldn't tell you what they were wearing but As it was Greece I suspect it was all black.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.