Emigrating Abroad

I truly wish I could go and live in New Zealand. Our daughter and her family live in Tauranga and it is a lovely place. Unfortunately NZ insist you have an insane amount of money before they let you in unless most of your family live over there.
Bit different to when I emigrated to NZ in 1973. I had a job to go to and as 'sponsored' immigrants, it only cost my wife and myself 10 quid each to fly over!

I went on an Erasmus placement to Denmark for 6 months and loved it. Returned to England and then wanted to travel so spent two years in OZ and enjoyed that. The main issue I had with OZ is the lack of history/culture in comparison to the UK. The sense of humour and "English" mentality were things I really missed. It is a great country with a great welfare system and the same exists in Denmark. Population pressures in England are what has led to a decline. The rich get richer and less willing to support the poorer and the inequality leads to a complete deterioration of a country. I do not think it is that bad here though. I have been back for 6 years and have progressed well in a career. My working class family background means I am always keen to support those less fortunate and do not mind being taxed to do so. Unfortunately I am in a minority and this country will face real problems if it does not quickly address the inequalities that exist.

I would love to move abroad again, somewhere in Europe (which is the greatest continent for cultural/historic variety). I have a good job now though so would not look to move unless I could find something comparable. I also would want my kids to be close to their grandparents and not pick up an Australian accent or I would have to punch them daily!

It is a hard decision but if you keep links to England you can always return and will at least satisfy that itch you have to make a move. We are all different. Some will completely disagree with my views of OZ and the scenery is outstanding so makes up for the lack of historic buildings for many. Give it a go but sort out job opportunities before you leave.

I didnt have a job in either Los Angeles or Brisbane, I just went to both places and started applying for jobs, it didnt take long to find them.

Did you not need a working visa? Or can you apply for that once you've found a job on a tourist visa?

Did you not need a working visa? Or can you apply for that once you've found a job on a tourist visa?
Went to LA on a temporary work visa and I went through the full migration process for Oz before leaving the UK, you have too. Once you have approval you can go there, find somewhere to live and apply for jobs.

I truly wish I could go and live in New Zealand. Our daughter and her family live in Tauranga and it is a lovely place. Unfortunately NZ insist you have an insane amount of money before they let you in unless most of your family live over there.
You could emigrate to Oz if you have the required occupation, once you become an Oz citizen after 2 years (you can retain UK citizenship) you can simply move to NZ, there is a reciprocal arrangement between the 2 countries

You could emigrate to Oz if you have the required occupation, once you become an Oz citizen after 2 years (you can retain UK citizenship) you can simply move to NZ, there is a reciprocal arrangement between the 2 countries
Correct. I once caused a near riot at a pub quiz in Moston when I asked this carefully worded question "with 1.5 million people, what city is home to the largest number of New Zealanders?"
Someone jokingly shouted out London - and they unknowingly were on the right lines... The correct answer is Sydney

Unfortunately, I am now retired so this avenue isn’t open :(

we have been in south America for 6 years now, would not consider coming back, this is our new home

nice is it not?

all you young ones out there should listen to the people in this thread that have moved away.
this country and everything about it is shite. do it now whilst you are young enough.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.