Why didn't Pep go to the rags?

Ferguson took him out to dinner and said to call him before he accepted an offer from another club but Pep didn't understand him. Then...

“Bayern Munich were the first club to call me, and then Manchester City, but I had already decided to try to prove myself in Germany and live that experience,” he said. “After that, from almost the day I arrived [at Bayern], Manchester City asked me again and I said that if I went to the Premier League I would go to them.

“I spoke to Khaldoon [al-Mubarak, the City chairman] and Txiki [Begiristain, the director of football] again during my last period in Bayern Munich and they showed more interest than any other club to pick me up. That was so important to me.

End of thread.

From the moment these guys arrived there was only one destination for Pep, they're the reason HRH and Khaldoon got these guys in the first place.

Definitely, Txiki et al made it obvious City was the only possible destination as they were setting up a Barcelona sort of project but United's bureaucracy was always going to be a hurdle for Guardiola. I've always said City's setup was ideal for Pep to thrive in

Definitely, Txiki et al made it obvious City was the only possible destination as they were setting up a Barcelona sort of project but United's bureaucracy was always going to be a hurdle for Guardiola. I've always said City's setup was ideal for Pep to thrive in
That's the answer. Txiki and Soriano. Plus the assurance there would be no boardroom wrangling or tension-he wanted guarantees they would do all they could to enact his vision.

It has been as good as he could have imagined too - hence the extension.

United are very complacent in their dealings. They rely on people wanting to come to them for their brand, badge, history. Call it what you want. It's pure arrogance and has been their undoing in the transfer window. City sell the club, the project and vision to every potential target.

There is no way Pep would of gone to Utd (even if we didn't exist). Pep likes to build a Dynasty at a club he goes to. Utd had had theirs with Fergie. He would not want to go in there and always have the "Fergie" comparison hanging round his neck, looking over his shoulder. He's his own man. Utd are a victim of their own making, the arrogance, the self adorning fans. This massive castle they built themselves is crumbling and sinking because they built it on shit sand and rats. Its so enjoyable watching their demise from our fortress across town.

That's the answer. Txiki and Soriano. Plus the assurance there would be no boardroom wrangling or tension-he wanted guarantees they would do all they could to enact his vision.

It has been as good as he could have imagined too - hence the extension.

Yep. He was never going to set up across town in direct opposition to Begiristain and Soriano, the very men who gave him his big break in management. He was only ever going to come to City if he chose to manage in England. The media and United fans like to believe that their history and prestige appealed to a football romantic like Guardiola, and that he would've chosen them given the chance, but that's just nauseating, sycophantic bullshit. He was interested in the future, not the past and the conditions at City were perfect for him to implement his footballing philosophy across a whole club, and leave a lasting legacy.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.