Why didn't Pep go to the rags?

Yep. He was never going to set up across town in direct opposition to Begiristain and Soriano, the very men who gave him his big break in management. He was only ever going to come to City if he chose to manage in England. The media and United fans like to believe that their history and prestige appealed to a football romantic like Guardiola, and that he would've chosen them given the chance, but that's just nauseating, sycophantic bullshit. He was interested in the future, not the past and the conditions at City were perfect for him to implement his footballing philosophy across a whole club, and leave a lasting legacy.

This is spot on. Fergurson did approach Guardiola to be their next manager. It’s well documented by Bacon himself that he took Pep out to dinner in New York and asked him to give him a call if he ever decided he wanted to come to the PL. Pep never called.

The fawning British media also seem to have completely forgotten that Fergurson is also on record as saying that he approached Ancelotti and Mourinho to replace him, but Mourinho decided he wanted to go back to Chelsea because he loved the club.

The press seem to have selective amnesia and now all insist that Mourinho is now in his “dream job that he always craved” at the Swamp. He’s got a funny way of showing it!

Im sure before he signed for us they used to peddle some quote about how Guardiola wanted to take over at Old Trafford one day, poor fuckers actually believed it too.

I have a theory that he came to us because he didnt want all the press circus that comes with those media driven clubs. He wants a club where he can have all the sort of people he would rather deal with, the money and project to work towards, and none of the pressures of a Barca or Utd... In fact I only think he will leave once we become that sort of big media friendly club with all the expectations around it.

That and the setup we have

For most of the reasons already posted but to add that City were investing in a successful football club whereas United already had that and its owners put commercial success primarily above the football success.

So glad our owners employed him.

I know it has become a cliche but it was "the project" which must have inluenced him as well as having his pals in charge. Where else would Pep get the chance to build a club from top to bottom with the style of football he loves? I also believe that when he leaves City he will have another career break and then probably take a key role directing the coaching of youngsters for CFG. Leading a worldwide football revolution at multiple clubs would be a natural step (unless he takes the England job because he has burnt his bridges with Spain)

United are very complacent in their dealings. They rely on people wanting to come to them for their brand, badge, history. Call it what you want. It's pure arrogance and has been their undoing in the transfer window. City sell the club, the project and vision to every potential target.

Utd are like the communists of football, a shadow hanging over the premier league believing that because they were successful that’s the way it should stay. City are just brighter and fresher looking to move forward with this football evolution. Having Maureen as their manager backs that up with his “win dirty” mentality, Football has moved on from that at the top. The mood must filter down to the players and the club that was successful a few years ago isn’t the club they would be signing for currently.

For my money it's just down to timing, at the start I think they saw Moyes as just a continuation of SAF the safe choice. Clearly in hindsight that approach didn’t work out, but anyone that’s seen the movie “Damned United” will have seen what can happen with the radical pick.

Since then City have just been one step ahead of the game in terms of management appointments, when they needed to offload Moyes Pep wasn’t available and by the time they pulled the trigger on LVG it was too late. SO really the only option was back when Moyes took over and whatever people think about Pep he is nobody’s fool and the rebuilding job was huge and any credit would have been limited so there is no certainty he would even have gone there then.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.