Total Football coming full circle back to City

• Thread starter Deleted member 77198
  • Start date
Jac
Excellent post/articles.. I touched on similar in a thread earlier this year, how Jack Reynolds is regarded the ‘Father of Dutch Football’ due to his work post-war with Ajax, his ‘Total Voetbal’ then picked up by Vic Buckingham, Rinus Michels, Cruyff, Van Gaal et al.. finally on to Barcelona, La Masia and Guardiola.. Reynolds never actually played for City’s first team (he was a right winger and had a bit of competition from some bloke called Meredith at the time!) while his brother did play for City at centre forward.. Reynolds was famous for saying ‘Attack is the best form of defence, we neglect the wings at our peril’ (remind you of anyone?!) and btw, he was also taken as a prisoner of war by the Germans and kept in a high security prison with PG Wodehouse.. who knows, maybe he discussed the merits of three at the back with Bertie Wooster’s creator?! Again, thanks for an excellent post, Blue, good to read!

QUOTE="johnevans, post: 11156431, member: 30052"]Excellent post/articles.. I touched on similar in a thread earlier this year, how Jack Reynolds is regarded the ‘Father of Dutch Football’ due to his work post-war with Ajax, his ‘Total Voetbal’ then picked up by Vic Buckingham, Rinus Michels, Cruyff, Van Gaal et al.. finally on to Barcelona, La Masia and Guardiola.. Reynolds never actually played for City’s first team (he was a right winger and had a bit of competition from some bloke called Meredith at the time!) while his brother did play for City at centre forward.. Reynolds was famous for saying ‘Attack is the best form of defence, we neglect the wings at our peril’ (remind you of anyone?!) and btw, he was also taken as a prisoner of war by the Germans and kept in a high security prison with PG Wodehouse.. who knows, maybe he discussed the merits of three at the back with Bertie Wooster’s creator?! Again, thanks for an excellent post, Blue, good to read![/QUOTE] Read some stuff about Jack Reynolds what a remarkable man
Originaly from Prestwich

Excellent post/articles.. I touched on similar in a thread earlier this year, how Jack Reynolds is regarded the ‘Father of Dutch Football’ due to his work post-war with Ajax, his ‘Total Voetbal’ then picked up by Vic Buckingham, Rinus Michels, Cruyff, Van Gaal et al.. finally on to Barcelona, La Masia and Guardiola.. Reynolds never actually played for City’s first team (he was a right winger and had a bit of competition from some bloke called Meredith at the time!) while his brother did play for City at centre forward.. Reynolds was famous for saying ‘Attack is the best form of defence, we neglect the wings at our peril’ (remind you of anyone?!) and btw, he was also taken as a prisoner of war by the Germans and kept in a high security prison with PG Wodehouse.. who knows, maybe he discussed the merits of three at the back with Bertie Wooster’s creator?! Again, thanks for an excellent post, Blue, good to read!
Thanks je, it’s a very interesting topic. I had the Newc-Spurs game on at dinnertime but barely looked up to see any of it due to reading about this stuff. It’s amazing really and a real shame that Reynolds and Hogan are not talked about by English football fans, clubs, media...

We’ve seen numerous documentaries and films made on the Busby Babes, the Class of ’92, When England Ruled Europe (about Liverpool, Forest and Villa winning b2b European Cups), England ’66, Italia ’90, Bobby Robson, Alex Ferguson, Brian Clough... but nothing about these two men bar a little five minute snippet on Late Kick Off aired to BBC North West at 22:45 once.

Two of the most important men in the sport!

City should do something on Reynolds. In fact add in Hogan as well just to be fair and say how they both influenced what we see at City today.

Wonder if Jack or his Brother, Billy, have any relatives who are Blues today?!

Last edited by a moderator:
I read the Jimmy Hogan biography when it came out a few years back. An excellent book.

He's framed pretty much as the genius who was ignored by the FA, but who taught the Hungarians everything they knew.

Thanks je, it’s a very interesting topic. I had the Newc-Spurs game on at dinnertime but barely looked up to see any of it due to reading about this stuff. It’s amazing really and a real shame that Reynolds and Hogan are not talked about by English football fans, clubs, media...

We’ve seen numerous documentaries and films made on the Busby Babes, the Class of ’92, When England Ruled Europe (about Liverpool, Forest and Villa winning b2b European Cups), England ’66, Italia ’90, Bobby Robson, Alex Ferguson, Brian Clough... but nothing about these two men bar a little five minute snippet on Late Kick Off aired to BBC North West at 22:45 once.

Two of the most important men in the sport!

City should do something on Reynolds. In fact add in Hogan as well just to be fair and say how they both influenced what we see at City today.

Wonder if Jack or his Brother, Billy, have any relatives who are Blues today?!
Might be an idea do something as you suggest.. although I see a barrier in getting it past the unholy alliance of supporters of The Red Filth and The Anfield Road Formation Brick Throwing Team which infests Media City etc these days!

“The Anfield Road Formation Brick Throwing Team”, love it! Haha

Gonna read all them later at some stage,but that short snippet is fantastic I wonder if the club would be interested in this in some capacity or did Gary James have knowledge of this also,amazing so long ago and what it has led too...
About 2000 James H Reeve mentioned Jack Reynolds to me. He's been written about a lot and his story is well known - outside of England. Sadly, too many focus only on English achievements and never consider achievements by British outside of England as being significant.

James H Reeve wanted to do much more with Jack's story and tried to promote it here but few cared at the time.

About 2000 James H Reeve mentioned Jack Reynolds to me. He's been written about a lot and his story is well known - outside of England. Sadly, too many focus only on English achievements and never consider achievements by British outside of England as being significant.

James H Reeve wanted to do much more with Jack's story and tried to promote it here but few cared at the time.
Ah right, such a shame that it’s not made more of. I’ve been buzzing all weekend that lineage from Pep-Cruyff-Michels-Reynolds or City-Barça-Ajax with City playing what we’re playing now links right back to a Mancunian who started at City.

Love it!

Reynolds’ achievements being ignored is similar to Hogan in that respect as well.

One quote from his book was; “When the war ended he returned to England and was told that men who had suffered financially as a result of the war could claim £200 from the FA. He was almost destitute but when he went to London the secretary, Francis Wall, opened a cupboard and offered him a pair of khaki socks. “We sent these to the boys at the front and they were grateful.” The unsubtle message was: “Traitor”.”

Maybe that’s the theme that stuck with English football with both of them. A bit/a lot of bitterness from the FA and teams here.

I wonder if they were so dismissive of Hogan deep down when the Mighty Magyars, playing Hogan’s way, came and spanked England in the “Game of the Century” 6-3 at Wembley?!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.