Sam Allardyce: Epitome of why English football has lagged behind

Allardyce is actually a good manager. He's actually mastered the long ball art by pioneering the use of statistics in football from his Bolton. There was a reason they were such a good '2nd ball team'.

However with his point on Emery, I give you the exact post I made yesterday about West Ham and Pellegrini. Just change out Pellers for Emery.

I'm going to stick by my principles and say that it was right for them to play that way.

They were almost always going to lose, you could argue they should have set up to defend but Pellers can't do that and is strongly opposed to that kind of football himself anyway.

He might as well have them playing the way he wants to. They're only going to learn that way of playing by actually playing it after all.

I have a big long post about this from last season somewhere, but my general gist was that the short-termism of completely compromising your style for the desperate act of gaining a point was more detrimental than going for it and losing.If you park the bus and lose (or even don't) you don't learn anything. If you play you own game and lose, then you get to see where you team needs to improve.

Because playing the short-term way makes you less prepared for the 30 other games where you would actually benefit from playing your own game.

A great example of a team getting it right was Watford last season, until all the Silva stuff derailed them. Even Burnley. As defensive as they were, they defended the same way against everyone. That's why they're good at it.

But what about the exciting Barcelona football they were watching under attacking manager Koeman. It was utter sh*t. Allardyce got the same bunch from relegation to top 8. Didn’t have the luxury that Silva has now of bringing in 50 mill players that really make the difference for entertainment value.
English fans all jump on the same bandwagon - it’s what toffee fans did, despite him playing much better football than his predecessor and getting the results.

Koeman was sacked after something like 8/9 games if I remember correctly, because he was trying to get his team playing a new style of football but they were struggling with it, also think Rooney created an issue for him but that’s a different story, he had £40 odd million Sigurdsson thrown in as well as Pickford, Keane and a couple of other big buys.
As for your ‘playing better football bollocks’ you do know why Everton sacked him.
Emery used yesterday’s game as practice for what he wants long term, you expect them to scrap all the preseason training because first game up was us? Madness, start as you mean to go on.

Now I know Pep's plan B is Plan A but better, but I can't help but think a long ball game in certain circumstances is very useful. Take the dippers for example, gave us a bit of a torrid time in the second half of last season, but then they came up against the rags, and looked proper poor. Why? because a high press is useless when the ball's sailing over your head to the big men up front. The rags were able to quickly and easily get to the dippers soft underbelly. Shit football, but effective on the day.

Allardyce is actually a good manager. He's actually mastered the long ball art by pioneering the use of statistics in football from his Bolton. There was a reason they were such a good '2nd ball team'.

However with his point on Emery, I give you the exact post I made yesterday about West Ham and Pellegrini. Just change out Pellers for Emery.

You make a good point and I agree. I just hope they play like that against us.

Now I know Pep's plan B is Plan A but better, but I can't help but think a long ball game in certain circumstances is very useful. Take the dippers for example, gave us a bit of a torrid time in the second half of last season, but then they came up against the rags, and looked proper poor. Why? because a high press is useless when the ball's sailing over your head to the big men up front. The rags were able to quickly and easily get to the dippers soft underbelly. Shit football, but effective on the day.
You've missed Ederson, Laporte etc hitting long passes when required then?

Liverpool are the current holders of the 'we beat Man City' cup mate, stop boasting about it. Meanwhile Emery has won 3 European trophies with a smaller club than Arsenal playing out from the back in every game.
You've noticed that as well? Thank fuck; I thought I was the only one. He does like to drop it into conversation now and again.

You've missed Ederson, Laporte etc hitting long passes when required then?

No I haven't. I wasn't criticising us, more observing a long ball game is useful sometimes, the thread is about fat Sam and his style of football isn't it?

Fwiw, I think the way Pep has us set up, we're pretty much resilient to most, if not all, styles of opposition tactics.

The irony being that the one team that you don't want give the ball back to straight away is us. I remember watching us against Napoli (for me the best team we played against last season) at home and one of the only times Eddie cleared the ball due to their press it fell to a Napoli player and within seconds they'd had a decent shot at our goal. Invariably, teams that press you want you to hoof the ball away because they know they'll have it back, more often than not, very quickly.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.