Media persecution of Raheem Sterling

I don't think Ian Wright needs to go to Liverpool and ask anyone what they think of Raheem. Wright knows a lot about racism and his trip to Maine road in the late 80s with palace as 25 yr old will be part of the vast experience which perhaps qualifies him to openly comment on matters now,as does his position in the media.

For those who are too young,or can't quite remember ..it was at that palace game ,in the north stand that I heard the most vitriolic racist abuse I've ever heard in my entire life....from my own fans directed towards Wright and Mark Bright...after an incident involving Eric Nixon and Bright.Our keeper was sent off,wrongly I suspect and both players were verbally abused in the worst possible way for the remainder of the match.I was in the North stand that day and can only imagine what the abuse was like in my normal spot on the Kippax.
Wright is entitled to his view and.. perhaps ..his experiences over the last 30 yrs in English football demand respect.
I checked the media for match reports after this partc match and not one single journalist thought it appropriate to say anything on the racist abuse from the home support.not important enough...or it didn't happen....Ian Wrights recollection of that match will be somewhat different to the media's of the day.
Sorry mate, I don't see what happened thirty years ago as having any bearing on this.

Is Liverpool's reach really that strong that it can cause this level of resentment and persecution?
The blame lays firmly at Rodgers door imo. He started this, Raz stood up to the bullying **** and the slow poison he dripped through Scouse loving media before he finally joined us.

The whole RS thing is without doubt created and fuelled by Liverpool FC, and given momentum by certain branches of the media, Talksport certainly being one of the main culprits.

When he chose to leave, the number of ex-Liverpool player's trundled out to spew the LFC club rhetoric about how he was making a "huge mistake", how LFC were a "family club" who'd ensure his safe and successful development, how he was being badly advised and "only doing it for the money" and was in some way betraying a "decent family club"....

The gullible masses sucked up this mass distributed drivel, evidenced by the booing of RS by fans at EVERY opposing side we've visited, including lower league sides in the cups. Even "England" fans boo'd him.

Project "Spoil Raheem" devised by Liverpool FC and implemented by their pet media outlets has become over successful, it's actually getting out of control.

Absolutely correct.

Barring the rare knuckledragger, the persecution has absolutely nothing to do with racism.

I have been in plenty of newsrooms where Sterling has been discussed.

He sells papers and is seen as high profile target because he sometimes has a colourful life off the pitch.

There are plenty of top black players in this country who don't get the scrutiny Raheem does.

He plays for the top team in the country and had the temerity to leave a cult club in Liverpool, who have such a hold over narratives through their huge fanbase, the basic resentment amongst other fans towards City hitting the big time, and the guilt over Hillsborough and eggshell treading in sections of the media.

Raheem keeps up his form, it will be someone else, white or black.

Ask Gazza!

Ian Wright, as a black person, does this debate no favours, as he gives legitimacy to the racism narrative, without any real evidence barring it must be because he has no other explanation for it.

Go to Liverpool, Ian, ask them what they think of Raheem and you working for The Sun.
Some fair points but 'sometimes has a colourful life off the pitch'.Thats falling for the usual fake stories,I doubt there's any top flight player leads a less colourful life than Raheem,unless visiting shops,bakeries and having the temerity to get a tattoo of your choice is leading a hedonistic lifestyle.

The whole RS thing is without doubt created and fuelled by Liverpool FC, and given momentum by certain branches of the media, Talksport certainly being one of the main culprits.

When he chose to leave, the number of ex-Liverpool player's trundled out to spew the LFC club rhetoric about how he was making a "huge mistake", how LFC were a "family club" who'd ensure his safe and successful development, how he was being badly advised and "only doing it for the money" and was in some way betraying a "decent family club"....

The gullible masses sucked up this mass distributed drivel, evidenced by the booing of RS by fans at EVERY opposing side we've visited, including lower league sides in the cups. Even "England" fans boo'd him.

Project "Spoil Raheem" devised by Liverpool FC and implemented by their pet media outlets has become over successful, it's actually getting out of control.
It was getting out of control when Raheem was physically assaulted abd racially abused by a utd 'fan' 2 hours before k.o against spurs last season.
The lads response to that attack-2 goals and a Mom performance, should..imo..have endeared him to true football fans the world over,esp England fans.it didn't. ..more alarmingly the media didn't spin the incident as an example of the bravery and resolve of one of England's most talented football players...you have to wonder why that is.
Raheems reaction to both this incident and being barged by the opponents coaching staff during the wc were exemplary from a professional footballer...but still the negative media portrayal continues......Wright is correct to ask why.I wonder how Jamie spittle would have reacted. ?

Both men were hailed as their country's brightest talent, it matters not what type of fuel they might or might not bring to the fire.

We are living in a different media age, which means Raheem going to Poundland or eating a Greggs' sausage roll is somehow deemed 'newsworthy'

My best mate is a Liverpool fan, absolutely hates Sterling. Has nothing but scorn for him.

Guess what? He's married to a black woman.

Cannot see how your best mate has any relevance to the debate. Your arguments are based on your interactions in a newsroom, are many of these people in the newsroom black ?.
My opinion comes from interaction with ex pros, coaches; assessors and people within the game, the consensus from them is that there is an institutional, political, racist element to his treatment.

If going to poundland and eating an ice cream is considered newsworthy by our press, what a sad state of affairs, no wonder they are struggling financially.

Its not racism just because he happens to be black.

We’ve seen how far up Liverpool’s arses the media are and how they always try to make us look like the little club with no fans and no history.

Sterling made them look like idiots by leaving their darling club and coming to City and winning trophies and they’re hammering him for it.

Simple as that.

Had Raheem remained at Liverpool he would be sharing the accolades with Salah, and every other Tom, Dick or Georginio. Not one gramme of the nonsense that fills and, unfortunatately, continues to sell papers would have been written. He snubbed the Dippers, and were he to leave Manchester City over contract issues he might come in for some of the contempt that Jimmy Avarice attracted over his departure, but I suspect that the RDAHMeedya witchhunt would cease. The fact that he left The DIppers, came to MCFC, prospered, lays bare the issue that he left a mediocre ship for something better, and that sticks, not just in the craw of The Echo, but in the gizzard of every RDAHMeedya third rate hack nationwide!

Racism or not Wrigth has put the question out there . Why does RS get so much stick ?. I doubt any of the press will follow up on what Wright has said, I guess the press will try and push it under the carpet.
As lot of you have said and I agree it's not just racisum Liverpool have a lot to answer to . History around Liverpool is chosen the press forget is was down to Liverpool that all English teams were banned for 5yrs from Europe. Do we ever hear of the Bradford fire ? No .....it's all the great Liverpool. Sorry seem to have gone of topic with my rant....

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.