Ilkay Gundogan - 2018/19 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anybody mentioned the bit where he chased down Xhaka, slid in to get the ball off him and then put Aguero through clean on goal (only for Sokratis to hack him down on the edge of the area)? That's precisely the kind of thing people on here like to pretend he doesn't do so I think it's worth amention.
Well, didnt you know? That was Fernandihno who did that. :)

Didn’t he start the set up for Bernardo’s goal too? He’s our new boo boy, we’ve always had to have at least one.
No No No No. I have it on good authority that the player in question was eitherFernandihno and if not it certainly wasn't Gundogan. As we all know, Gundogan was busy being Lazy while all the others worked.
:)

This, I don’t get it either. I rewatched the first half and thought he did ok also. Made good runs, launched a counter attack after a nice slide tackle to win the ball back, etc. Granted, he misplaced a pass on the break that could have led to a goal but so did almost every other midfielder. I just don’t see how others are seeing him as diabolical first half.
Simples! They have an Agenda.

I would suggest listening to the 93:20 podcast it's an hour and ten minutes interview with Marti Peranau, the topic of Gundogan, why Pep rates him so highly, and why he isn't popular with certain sections of the support is discussed at length.... lots of other good stuff too

Last edited:
Yep, quite invisible first half, stepping up 2nd half. The lad is fantastic, I really like him.
And I guess you would like to see that kind of energetic movement from Gundogan.
But he is a different type.
He looks much calmer, maybe even slower, but he is doing a job nevertheless.
For sure a job Pep likes, or he (Ilkay) wouldn't be here.

Well that's the point I'm making. He played like a veteran imo.

Yes he was calm, & slow, sometimes as he passed through with a clever move, like to start the move which created the 2nd goal, sometimes when he managed to get a foot to the ball & intercept, sometimes when he passed the ball sideways or backwards when he had time & space to play it forward, sometimes as he misplaced a pass & often as he was running back to cover, as others who had been running harder, ran past him.

Just like you would expect Yaya to do a couple of seasons ago but without the 'genius' moments.

That isn't the player I was keen for us to sign, from Dortmund. He did things quickly & was always ahead of the game.

I was expecting that player, fitter after a year of recuperation from his serious injury & especially after Pep's recent comments.

Some are suggesting it's his nose operation which is the reason. If that's so then it's great news as Gundogan was an absolute top player.

If that's not it & this is Gubdogan's level, he is the equivalent of a 35 year old in his last season imo.

The player we saw at weekend, is not the best we could have, as midfield backup.

And I doubt many people arguing his case actually disagree with that, if they are honest.

I would suggest listening to the 93:20 podcast it's an hour and ten minutes interview with Marti Peranau, the topic of Gundogan, why Pep rates him so highly, and why he isn't popular with certain sections of the support is discussed at length.... lots of other good stuff too

I imagine he could also do an hour on why Pep rates the other 20 odd.

Can understand why he is a favourite of Pep..In his BVB days he used to be so good in the 2nd and 3rd phases of the game but hasn't showed enough of that here..Only in patches.Good squad player and the bad injury hasn't helped but he probably is the most inconsistent player in the squad..He either has a fantastic game or is dross all game..no in between..Couldn't tell you what Gundogan will show up in a game.A very patchy player.
With KDB now injured,Pep will obviously turn to him more and hope he can repay the faith shown in him by being more consistent with his performances and not drifting through games.

He's likely to be the replacement for KDB despite the wishes of some, so we'll have to hope the consistency of regular playing time will help him hit some form.

We keep talking about his Dortmund form, but I was really happy with him in 16/17 before he got crocked (I think he averaged a goal every 3 games or something), and I don't think it's unreasonable he might get back there sooner or later with regular games. He scored against Liverpool, United and Tottenham last season and he's scored against Barcelona too, so his goal threat might become valuable to us as an attempt at a replacement for Kev's creative output.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.