Nicolás Otamendi - 2018/19 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

mccity

There's been loads of excitement (rightly so) recently at the prospect of a Stones-Laporte combination for the future.

But I think as a result people are maybe being a little too quick to write off Otamendi, certainly in the short term. He was our best centre back last season and has shown massive signs of improvement at every step since Guardiola joined. And he's reliable to be available considering he has a good injury record.

He might not be the 1st choice, and it's easy to think that given Stones and Laporte's respective styles and potentials. But I still think there'll plenty of games he'll feature in beyond just being for rotation.

How do people see his season going?

There's been loads of excitement (rightly so) recently at the prospect of a Stones-Laporte combination for the future.

But I think as a result people are maybe being a little too quick to write off Otamendi, certainly in the short term. He was our best centre back last season and has shown massive signs of improvement at every step since Guardiola joined. And he's reliable to be available considering he has a good injury record.

He might not be the 1st choice, and it's easy to think that given Stones and Laporte's respective styles and potentials. But I still think there'll plenty of games he'll feature in beyond just being for rotation.

Best Centerback since the first day he put on a blue shirt. But he'll probably take a backseat to the future unless they faulter.

Same is probably true for Kompany.

Extremely important player still. Stones and Laporte are the future of our central defence- they could be as good as Ramos-Varane someday- but both are still only 24 and as such it's unrealistic to expect them to be able to play at the top of their game all season.We'll need Otamendi a lot, same for Kompany.

we will definitely see him or komps, like if we play three at the back especially but also I think he will be back in the starting line up at some time even iin a back 4. Just a hunch. Stones and Laporte is still untested in the PL, remains to be seen how stable they are.

Still has an important part to play. I think we'll see him more when we face teams with physical strikers. For the teams with strikers with pace Stones and Laporte.

It's being reported that like Messi and Di Maria he has "asked not to be called up by Argentina". I assume that's like an unofficial retiring from international football.

Would obviously be good news for us if true.

Still has an important part to play. I think we'll see him more when we face teams with physical strikers. For the teams with strikers with pace Stones and Laporte.

Like Diego Costa? He looked like an EDS player up against him. Strangely, the only one in our team who has looked good against the Costas/Zlatans, etc. has been Mangala.

Like Diego Costa? He looked like an EDS player up against him. Strangely, the only one in our team who has looked good against the Costas/Zlatans, etc. has been Mangala.

Costa only scored 1 goal against us in 5 league games, we obviously didn't manage too badly.

We will see all of them.

We don't know if Stones/Laporte will maintain their level. JS has previous for dropping out of form, or both could be immense all season.

We don't know either, if this will be the season which catches up with Vinny, & whether Otamendi will repeat last season's form or return to the often car crash, disaster area from the previous seasons.

But we have 4 cbs to go at, who have all performed at various times. Good position to be in.

He had a few moments of madness at the WC but hopefully we can expect another good campaign from him.

If we play two centre backs and everyone is fit, I find it quite difficult to determine who the best two out of the four are. I think they are all excellent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.