Bluemoon Angling Thread

I used to love fishing for tench as a kid and would regularly catch them between 2lb 8oz to around 6lb from a small pond that Hyde hall AC used to have in Denton before the M60 was built and it was sadly filled in.

Anyone know of any good club or day ticket waters ford decent sized tench in the north west. My old fella used to say that Chorlton water park was good but I've never fished it. Getting late in the summer to fish for them now but catching bottle green red eyed tench is something i'd really appreciate. Beautiful fish.

It's funny you should say that because my best days fishing was an early door jobbie at a local lodge after a rather heavy downpour.Circa 4.10 am and I set up on the north bank with my swim-feeder and maggots.I pulled 11 tench that morning and all of them to a fish were a right good poundage.That's all I really want to say for now except sometimes you catch and sometimes you don't. I sincerely hope I am not derailing mods but here is an excellent series I used to watch about catching fish with my pal Bob Mortimer.Feel free to move into the carp deum subforums.

You will not marry that boy.

Last edited:
It's funny you should say that because my best days fishing was an early door jobbie at a local lodge after a rather heavy downpour.Circa 4.10 am and I set up on the north bank with my swim-feeder and maggots.I pulled 11 tench that morning and all of them to a fish were a right good poundage.That's all I really want to say for now except sometimes you catch and sometimes you don't. I sincerely hope I am not derailing mods but here is an excellent series I used to watch about catching fish with my pal Bob Mortimer.Feel free to move into the carp deum subforums.

You will not marry that boy.

Very poignant series that. Frustrating from a fishing point of view but seeing two, what I regard as "new wave", comedians getting old and talking about dying focuses one's thoughts on mortality. But it brings to mind an old Abyssinian cave inscription "the Gods don't take from a man's life the time he spends fishing".

So it was down to the Staffs-Worcester canal for me on Sunday. A picturesque, lily clad piece of water which is something of an enigma. Clearly there are some large fish bream, perch, roach, rudd and pike particularly which draws us back time and again.

As usual, I only caught bits. Lots of them but it's very much an early morning water which is difficult because it's an hour and a half drive to get there.

Very poignant series that. Frustrating from a fishing point of view but seeing two, what I regard as "new wave", comedians getting old and talking about dying focuses one's thoughts on mortality. But it brings to mind an old Abyssinian cave inscription "the Gods don't take from a man's life the time he spends fishing".

So it was down to the Staffs-Worcester canal for me on Sunday. A picturesque, lily clad piece of water which is something of an enigma. Clearly there are some large fish bream, perch, roach, rudd and pike particularly which draws us back time and again.

As usual, I only caught bits. Lots of them but it's very much an early morning water which is difficult because it's an hour and a half drive to get there.

They were magnificent as a brace Alec albeit at the unfortunate expense of their work.If anyone gets a chance give them a look in as it was very watchable.I used to participate back in the day mainly with course but did dance the fancy on occasion with a pal of mine called Sam from a previous career.He was the bosses son and the only thing remotely of importance for him was casting the fly with his trade taking a backward seat.Every Saturday morning we would finish our chores @fastforward and tackle up for the great adventures that lay ahead.It was a picturesque neck of the woods @upper harwood and the lake lay at the top of the village called Dene water if memory serves correct.He would lend me his dads trews Barbours and wellies and because I was somewhat more portly than his creator the kitting up for our trips was a joy to behold.I couldn't feel a pulse in my thighs but still managed to waddle along gentrification style in my new country attire. I never caught a single trout but danced the dance casting and exploring the synergies between rod and line.After months of trying and very trying I was I had mastered the amazing art of the roll cast and the trickier overhead cast and have to say from a bystanders point of view I would have taken on the persona of a professional plying his trade against the harsh realities of mother nature.Sam used to say that I just looked like a cock but nothing could have taken away the experience and emotions of being an intrinsic new member to that fly fishing community.

Fishing can be used as a brilliant medium to reconnect with the environment friends and those great outdoors are just one step away from the living room.Take that leap of faith and put the remote away.Promote the outdoors to save our outdoors. Fishing is not just for the catching but as an advertisement for enviromental awareness:

Last edited:
Just done 3 nights on St John's Lake Linear Fisheries Oxford really busy being Bank Holiday weekend ended up with a 21lb Mirror

I'd post a picture but I don't know how

They were magnificent as a brace Alec albeit at the unfortunate expense of their work.If anyone gets a chance give them a look in as it was very watchable.I used to participate back in the day mainly with course but did dance the fancy on occasion with a pal of mine called Sam from a previous career.He was the bosses son and the only thing remotely of importance for him was casting the fly with his trade taking a backward seat.Every Saturday morning we would finish our chores @fastforward and tackle up for the great adventures that lay ahead.It was a picturesque neck of the woods @upper harwood and the lake lay at the top of the village called Dene water if memory serves correct.He would lend me his dads trews Barbours and wellies and because I was somewhat more portly than his creator the kitting up for our trips was a joy to behold.I couldn't feel a pulse in my thighs but still managed to waddle along gentrification style in my new country attire. I never caught a single trout but danced the dance casting and exploring the synergies between rod and line.After months of trying and very trying I was I had mastered the amazing art of the roll cast and the trickier overhead cast and have to say from a bystanders point of view I would have taken on the persona of a professional plying his trade against the harsh realities of mother nature.Sam used to say that I just looked like a cock but nothing could have taken away the experience and emotions of being an intrinsic new member to that fly fishing community.

Fishing can be used as a brilliant medium to reconnect with the environment friends and those great outdoors are just one step away from the living room.Take that leap of faith and put the remote away.Promote the outdoors to save our outdoors. Fishing is not just for the catching but as an advertisement for enviromental awareness:

Bob Mortimer would be funny reading a Parking ticket. He is a genuine comedy genius. The highlight of the series for me was each of them catching a Barbel each and just how special that made them feel. Lovely TV. I am taking their lead and in 4 short weeks will be plumbing the depths of the mighty river wye for that very same species.

It's owned by United utilities.
Totally free.
It's a huge water to the north of rochdale.
You can pretty much drive up to it.
Never even been asked for my rod licence on it and I've fished it for 40 years.
It can get pretty cold if the wind is blowing so take a flask.

Got done there for no rod licence in about 88/89 :) only went there on the day cos Elton res was frozen over.
Fished it plenty for pike as it was local at the time biggest about 18lb, do you know a lad called Danny as he fished it more than anyone.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.