Hitch hikers / Hitch hiking

Hitchhiked from Middlesbrough to Manchester for my first City match in 1978. Two rides, Middlesbrough to York then York to Maine Road. Took about 4 hours, met two guys outside of the ground who I'm still in touch with today. One moved to London and supports Luton town the other to New Zealand and is into rugby. Me I'm still a CITY supporter through thick and thin. Travel over every 4 or 5 years for 2 City matches, one in London and one at the eitihad.
Always had good luck hitching a ride in the UK.

Hitchhiked around Europe when I was 20.
Never really struggled to get a lift.
People stopped picking them up after the release of the Rutger Hauer film The Hitcher.
I still pick them up.
Mainly lads with trade plates these days.
But you still get the odd loony.
Picked up a white witch once.
She was feeling my head as I drove and harping on about my aura ??????
Once picked up 2 theology students at Lymm.
Wouldn't shut up about God and I eventually threw them out at South Mimms.
Mainly nice folk tho.

Hitchhiked around Europe when I was 20.
Never really struggled to get a lift.
People stopped picking them up after the release of the Rutger Hauer film The Hitcher.
I still pick them up.
Mainly lads with trade plates these days.
But you still get the odd loony.
Picked up a white witch once.
She was feeling my head as I drove and harping on about my aura ??????
Once picked up 2 theology students at Lymm.
Wouldn't shut up about God and I eventually threw them out at South Mimms.
Mainly nice folk tho.

Second time I've seen this ion the thread. What are trade plates?

Cheers mate. Why are they hitchhiking with number plates though? Sorry if it's a stupid question, it's just not something I'm familiar with.

Trade plate drivers are generally self-employed so they look to move between jobs as cheaply as possible. I pick them up regularly.

Trade plate drivers are generally self-employed so they look to move between jobs as cheaply as possible. I pick them up regularly.

Sorry mate. I thought they were just driving dealer cars to and from dealerships. Couldn't understand why anyone would be walking down the road with a number plate.

Sorry mate. I thought they were just driving dealer cars to and from dealerships. Couldn't understand why anyone would be walking down the road with a number plate.
Well done mate, you've seen right through the cover story they peddle, they are doggers, the trade plates are just a way of putting out to other like minded types. Just an extension of the old A-Z map for swinging couples.

Well done mate, you've seen right through the cover story they peddle, they are doggers, the trade plates are just a way of putting out to other like minded types. Just an extension of the old A-Z map for swinging couples.

I hope they recognise my Canadian bike plate then.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.