Favourite City game.....they didn’t win !

Coventry - Away January 1981. It snowed, no roof, White Christmas became Blue Wembley for the first time. Great atmosphere and we got to Wembley that year. 1-1 the result that day
You are correct.... that is the first time Blue Wembley was sung by City fans. Also remember the tannoy booming out John Lennon's Imagine (a few weeks after his death) and the whole stadium singing... hairs on the back of the neck job

Your favourite City game ? unbelievable.
Your favorite city game that we didn't win?
Why is that a problem? did you go?
Were you stood there watching the Rags desperate to beat us? when we started making our mark?
There are plenty of other games that I could mention and comment on....that stands out.
Seeing those Rags knowing they were losing it and desperate... priceless.

Last edited:
1974 Forest away.

Anyone here at the game?, remember it like it was yesterday..

Duncan McKenzie scored one of the best goals I've ever seen against us, shortly after that he moved to Leeds.

From the web:-

In 1974 Forest were a pretty ordinary second division side, other than McKenzie. That season, he became only the third Forest player to top the scoring charts in his division with 26 goals. In the fourth round of the FA Cup, McKenzie put on a one-man display, the like of which has not been seen since at the City Ground. He ran the Manchester City Defence ragged. He created two goals for Ian Bowyer and one for George Lyall before scoring himself. It was Duncan McKenzie 4 Manchester City 1 Forty one thousand fans watched McKenzie put them to the slaughter on Forest’s second ever Sunday game.

1974 Forest away.

Anyone here at the game?, remember it like it was yesterday..

Duncan McKenzie scored one of the best goals I've ever seen against us, shortly after that he moved to Leeds.

From the web:-

In 1974 Forest were a pretty ordinary second division side, other than McKenzie. That season, he became only the third Forest player to top the scoring charts in his division with 26 goals. In the fourth round of the FA Cup, McKenzie put on a one-man display, the like of which has not been seen since at the City Ground. He ran the Manchester City Defence ragged. He created two goals for Ian Bowyer and one for George Lyall before scoring himself. It was Duncan McKenzie 4 Manchester City 1 Forty one thousand fans watched McKenzie put them to the slaughter on Forest’s second ever Sunday game.

I was living in Leicester at the time and made the short trip to Nottingham for that game. McKenzie indeed had a stormer but it was one of those games where City, much stronger on paper, just didn’t turn up and looked as if they’d have preferred to be enjoying a Sunday lie in. The hapless Ron Saunders was manager at the time. Frank Carrodus scored our goal.

For me, my favourite game we didn’t win was our last game at Maine Road verses Southampton. It brought back many happy memories of me and my daughter in the Kippax over many years - priceless!
Which brings me to a joke I told at my daughter’s wedding of when she was a small girl ....”City are loosing!...How do you Know?...it’s five past Three !!!!!!”

Friendly game at Barrow AFC in the 80’s. City came to Barrow a couple of times for friendlies/testimonials when I was a kid but this game in the 80’s was special. The small ground was rammed and it was bouncing compared to usual games. Dennis Tueart scored a beautiful lob just passed the half way line to go 2-1 up and the whole ground applauded. Then a Barrow defender ran passed about 3 players and scored a screamer for 2-2. After the game I ran on the pitch and shook loads of City players hands before a steward chased me off. Great night for a young city fan.
I was there too. Lived nearby then.

Huddersfield (H) last season!

Didn’t win the game, but it was the first time my wife has been with me to see City lift a trophy...and this was the big one: The Premier League Championship Trophy!

2-3 home defeat to the Rags in the FA Cup when Vinny got sent off , 0-3 down with ten men and the Rags were hanging on for a 3-2 win at the end , never been so proud of a team that lost a Derby game
Yeh - I did enjoy out-playing then with 10 men for what an hour(?) after we had gotten over our catastrophic period once Shredded Wheat head gotten our captain sent off for a magnificent challenge on Michael Jackson Jnr..........

Yeh - I did enjoy out-playing then with 10 men for what an hour(?) after we had gotten over our catastrophic period once Shredded Wheat head gotten our captain sent off for a magnificent challenge on Michael Jackson Jnr..........
Hahaha that’s how the game should’ve been summarised on MOTD

Hahaha that’s how the game should’ve been summarised on MOTD
I'm sure it will have been cut so that it portrayed that Utd battered us from start to finish and we scabbed 2 goals with our only 2 attacks............

Oh and that Vincent actually decapitated Nani and the sending off had nothing to do with Wooney screaming obscenities in the face of the official to have him sent off

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.