Season card setting off shops alarms?!

It happened to me a lot. I carried all my old cards around with me(I don’t know why) and alarms went off frequently, much to Mrs Hef’s annoyance

12 months ago it went off in Tesco Express in Hale and the little witch accused me of ‘nicking’.

I now only carry the new one and haven’t had a problem

I have had my Passport set off shop alarms, so it is entirely possible.

The RFID chips (contactless chip) in many cards are quite sensitive, and with the right equipment can be easily scanned and exploited.

I now use an RFID protective wallet for all my cards. It stops all this kind of nonsense, and it protects my cards from being scanned by unscrupulous individuals.

The seasoncards have NFC chips in them that can act as though RFID tags are embedded in them. Its how they open the turnstyle to let you in.
NFC tag presented to reader device and looked up on database to see if authorised and if authorised for that turnstyle. If so it lets you in.
Many shop security systems are shit. They don't properly check that the tag is associated with shop stock so bingo, the alarm goes off. You need a wallet or card case that blocks RF to put the card in.

Last edited:
Seasoncards use 13.56MHz RFID technology and shop alarms are looking for a totally different frequency (8.2MHz) so very doubtful it's the seasoncard.
Shop detection systems are shit. They set off all over the frequently range.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions...ag-which-can-be-read-at-distances-higher-than

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/blog.atlasrfidstore.com/rfid-vs-nfc/amp

NFC chips shouldn't set things off in shops but they do.

There's a phone app "RS NFC RFID Reader" that allows you to read them (stay simple you don't want to mess up existing cards)

Last edited:
yeah i guess you're right, it was just a sudden thought so i posted! Been quite upset about the thought of it being my skin, don't even have a follow up appt with the hosp and no one is going to take it seriously :(

When an alarm goes off, put the card in your shoe then stand close to the sensors. Keep your face outside and wave your foot inside. Then try the reverse; stick your head inside while standing outside. This will let you know the cause.

The guy in the spar near me told me that City seasoncards are setting their alarms at the door off this year. Not all, knobhead, cos mine was in my pocket as I was on the way home from the match.
I did get a new card from some bank a while back, though, and it was setting some alarms off consistently, always Tesco, Sainsbury's, Aldi but not others. Got proper boring explaining to the security guy that it always does it, it did it when I came in etc etc.

Happened with mine last year. Carry all my cards around with me in my card holder so have had no idea what was causing it until I saw this thread lol.

Tesco for me. Have 3 cards in wallet and nearly every time it sets alarm. Spoke to security card and he said quite a few access cards do it especially when more than one together in wallet. Setting alarm off going into store is quite a laugh.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.