Religion

I don't see how they can, given he said he came to uphold the law, not change it.

Edit: found it - Matthew 5:17 ""Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them."

I don't have the argument why.

May not have been caused by wars but one can bet their bottom dollar that the soldiers in most were promised they’d win as god was on their side.

A lot easier to get someone to die for you if they feel there’s an eternal paradise awaiting them if they fall in battle.

Dafuq does that even mean...??

Are you saying that if a 19 year old was plucked to fight an oil war, was bogged down in the trenches and was about to meet their end, that if someone says to them 'take as many of them with you as you can and the Lord will be awaiting at the Gate for you', it becomes a 'religious' war??

Wow!

Come on, that's fookin' complete nonsense!!

Cheers. I write from my own experience - so please feel free to disagree with and/or disregard anything I write. In this context what I have come across would be something like this :

In many teachings there is the idea of 'outer teachings' and 'inner teachings'. The former is where most people will come to meet the teachings, the latter is what some may end up going through. In this sense - and from my understanding (whether correct or incorrect) - inner teachings involve opening to an inner teacher. In christian terms, this teacher may be called the Holy Spirit. Opening to the Inner Teacher involves a process of sorting the wheat from the chaff - keep hold of the wheat, let go of the chaff. This also goes beyond that which is just theoretical right or wrong and into practical experience. So if I come across an idea that claims to be true yet leads to a sense of disconnection, then it may well be best to drop it - whereas an idea that is of the Inner Teacher will lead to a deeper, felt sense of connection with the Divine. In this way I come to realise a kind of discernment beyond that which can be known with only intellectual study. Not everyone's cup of tea and not always so easy but such is life.

not being funny mate but can you spell that out in lay mans term please

Maybe 'allegorical' should say 'figurative' - you'd need an English scholar to define the difference properly. Parables are not to be taken literally, and there are loads of them in the Bible.
Much of rhe Bible clearly to make people think - the camel through an eye of a needle verses are obviously not meant to be taken literally, but to make the reader think about what is meant by what it is contained by. Or to set about making really big needles, one or the other.

I can accept opinions, what I dislike is such as SAB's skewed excerpting. Those excerpts are misrepresented by the cuts made.

For example, this one from the SAB: "Jesus recommends that to avoid sin we cut off our hands and pluck out our eyes. This advice is given immediately after he says that anyone who looks with lust at any women commits adultery."
That last bit - what it actually says: "That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart."
Those last words make it plausible to interpret as a warning on behaviour being verging close to sin, rather than an actual sin (SAB).It's quite possible to argue when something in heart becomes in fact, and I have no wish to get into that.
That makes SAB's cutting a deliberate removal of context (in this case, the claimed meaning changes with the last three words). It's Fox Bible News type level stuff that SAB made there, creating a statement that wasn't made and then criticising it.
I re-read what had seemed like an insult. I think there was probably meant to be a full stop or similar after 'pony' - that makes it make sense to me now (rather than an insult it read as first). Although I still disagree that it is a cop out, I retract that it was an insult and apologise.
The logical flaw I referred to had nothing to do with background - it was in response to a question about whether I'd said something was false, when I had not claimed falseness/truth on anything.

i can agree with some interpretation can be seen a different way, what is without question is that jesus is asking you to cut off your hand and pluck out your eye for doing some he doesn't approved of . really

the SAB has the bibilcal text along side so its not hiding anything

and if the bible is full of things that are not to be taken literal

then how do we take - virgin birth, rising from the dead, ascending into heaven, are they literal or not

not being funny mate but can you spell that out in lay mans term please
inner teaching = in-tuition...not an intellectual state but also not what is sometimes called intuition which is more an emotional reaction. Like a quiet inner knowing. Some
might call this 'no-mind.' Trying to describe it is not so easy but when experienced it is kind of obvious - perhaps this could also be called
creative insight/expression.

inner teaching = in-tuition...not an intellectual state but also not what is sometimes called intuition which is more an emotional reaction. Like a quiet inner knowing. Some
might call this 'no-mind.' Trying to describe it is not so easy but when experienced it is kind of obvious - perhaps this could also be called
creative insight/expression.
The most important thing is that the heretics get flayed alive.

i believe in god and jesus and go to church.

keeps me going.

pray each night and live by the ten commandments.

i believe i will enter the kingdom of heaven.

Religion. Understandable a few hundred years ago, totally un-fucking fathomable now. I genuinely, absolutely genuinely wouldn't listen to a single word anyone said who actually believes believes there is a God. Fucking fruit loops and not to be trusted. That's all of them, no exceptions, if you genuinely believe in God, then you're unhinged.

Religion. Understandable a few hundred years ago, totally un-fucking fathomable now. I genuinely, absolutely genuinely wouldn't listen to a single word anyone said who actually believes believes there is a God. Fucking fruit loops and not to be trusted. That's all of them, no exceptions, if you genuinely believe in God, then you're unhinged.
I think it’s possible most don’t really believe deep down. Like a kid clinging onto Santa Claus, hearing rumours he’s made up but just shutting it out.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.