Nick Leeson and city

salfordpaul

just watching big brother and noticed Nick Leeson on it.

I was aware when he was arrested over the baring bank thing that he was a city fan and think I remember City sending him merchandise.

Does anyone know anymore, like how is he a city fan being from down south which isn’t all that common

Has anyone seen him at any games etc

I was aware when he was arrested over the baring bank thing that he was a city fan and think I remember City sending him merchandise.

Does anyone know anymore, like how is he a city fan being from down south which isn’t all that common

I seem to remember him saying he became a City fan after watching the 76 league cup final as a young lad.

He was from Watford. Reckons all the kids supported Watford or other London clubs so, to be different, he latched on to city and says the Tueart overhead goal was a clincher.
Apparently he’s good mates with Gary Owen as well.
He had to be a City fan, if you think about it. It’s January 16th 1995, he’s losing money at Barings Bank and, essentially, he bets that the Singapore and Japan stock markets won’t move much overnight, to get some cash back. On the early morning of the 17th the Kobe earthquake hits and the Asian stock markets fall apart. He then takes increasingly large positions on the Japanese stock market recovering. It doesn’t and the losses end up at over £800M and the oldest merchant bank in the U.K. is declared insolvent and shuts down.
I get sweaty palms if I have £25 on a horse!

Last edited:
He became Chairman of a club in Ireland didn’t he? I read the book on the downfall of Barings. Very interesting stuff. Unbelievable that one mans actions could do that.

Made me laugh when the pyschic woman said she could never remember her bank pin number and he said he would remember it for her if she told him

He was commercial manager of all things for Galway United from 2005 to 2011. I think he does a good few after dinner speeches now.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.