Cancun,Dominican R or Jamaica

Cancun beaches are awesome, as are most of the resorts. However, stay out of Cancun proper and stay in the hotel zone. There are still a few nightclubs, bars, restaurants and good shopping there. Tulum is definitely an alternative, as is Playa Del Carmen or even Cozumel. Tulum is growing exponentially and is not as much of the backpacker location it once was. However, with that growth has come more, and new and modern, places to stay.

The DR is fine, but a little dire outside the resorts, most of which are AI which helps. Beaches are very nice, countryside is beautiful, but country is desperately poor.

Jamaica...well, it’s all about location, location, location! The resorts are generally decent, some excellent, but roaming around in a car (as suggested by someone) strikes me as an invitation to be mugged and worse! So many better places to go in the Caribbean, IMHO.

I’d do one of the BBI/USVI islands if it was a once in a lifetime holiday, but if you will be back, any of the above would be a decent start. The ABCs are also pretty decent (Aruba, Bonaire, Curaçao) places, AND THEY ARE SOUTH OF THE HURRICANE ZONE!! I’ve been to Aruba a few times and the beaches there hold their own against any anywhere. The country is known as The Happy Island, and is!

One more positive about the Secrets Maroma Beach in Playa del Carmen. They didn't book our dinner reservatin for a group of six one evening. Our personal concierge got us a table right away with "premium" wine service. That was nice.

On top of that, he found us all at breakfast the next day and said pack your things, I have new rooms for you. We said it wasn't necessary, he said, trust me you'll like it. Two couples received Imperial suites and one presidential suite for two nights. The I suite was the nicest place I've ever stayed. It was HUGE with an ocean view swim out pool. The P suite had an ocean view and was very nice. They treat you right there for certain.

Never been to Jamaica and besides the walk up the falls would kill us off now. Dom rep is good and Punta cana bavaro has the best beaches on the island being pure powder under foot.Outside the resorts there is little to wet of the whistle.Some good trips however and the monster truck up into the mountains were they filmed Apocalypse Now was top notch. Favourite of the three has to be Mexico and playa del carmen more suited us than Cancun.We got an amazing deal to Carmen when the swine flu was at it's height.They were after guinea pigs and we were first in the queue for a cheepo holiday.We got Two weeks all inc staying at riu rivierra palace resort for only £800 all in.Ours was the first flight out of Manchester and there were only 75 volunteers on the plane all singing songs to keep the spirits up.When we landed the team of doctors examined us shining torches into our eyes and taking pulses and shit and that was it we got treated like returning kings and eventually more flights followed us pathfinders into paradise..Best of it was most of the swine flue was up north and no where near the carmen ?

Last edited:
Merida, MX

Stay at Rosas y Xocolate and have the hotel arrange drivers to take you to the ruins nearby. Uxmal is not to be missed.

The city of Merida is gorgeous and the food phenomenal.

uxmal-mayan-ruins-mexico-10.jpg

Been to all of them many times (except DR which I have only been to once). Playacar in Mexico is great and so is Ocho Rios and Negril in Jamaica.
I was in Playa Del Carmen in April and I will be in Jamaica south coast in Nov. You can get yourself killed in both places if you try hard enough.

Buenos Aires looks an interesting place. Have pencilled it in for 2019. Autumn.

BA is must if you like city holidays, stunning. Watched the game v Wigan in 2010 when Tevez scored all three. TV fella was going bonkers for Carlito.

Been to Jamaica twice. Negril is safe with spectacular beeches. Wonderful locals. Stay the fuck away from Kingston though, unless you have a death wish

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.