Ilkay Gundogan - 2018/19 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Strength, pace, power and a little technique have been historically and currently preferred qualities...

This is why most weekends little men like the two Silva's and Gundogan are able to pop the ball around them for fun as the emphasis in these players are in technique and intelligence...

He's in the team to create and more importantly enable the team to retain possession...

Channeling Pep! Well done.

Been saying these EXACT same things about Sterling, as he lacks the technical abilities of some of the best players in the squad for the positions he plays. To be space twin, he has good strength and the power and pace to beat players, but could have had another hat trick today...AGAIN! However, he only scored the tap in!

Channeling Pep! Well done.

Been saying these EXACT same things about Sterling, as he lacks the technical abilities of some of the best players in the squad for the positions he plays. To be space twin, he has good strength and the power and pace to beat players, but could have had another hat trick today...AGAIN! However, he only scored the tap in!
Your wrong. He did a lot more than that. He turned on a six pence beat one or two players, flicked it to laporte who passed it first time wide to aguero. Whilst all this was going on he was the only one with the ability somehow and intelligence to make it into the box in space for the tap in. So before you take the cheap route around trying to dig sterling out. Know what your talking about. He started/ effectively created and finished off much of his own work. Takes a bit more than pace and power. Ps how many could kun have had but didn't or Jesus?

Your wrong. He did a lot more than that. He turned on a six pence beat one or two players, flicked it to laporte who passed it first time wide to aguero. Whilst all this was going on he was the only one with the ability somehow and intelligence to make it into the box in space for the tap in. So before you take the cheap route around trying to dig sterling out. Know what your talking about. He started/ effectively created and finished off much of his own work. Takes a bit more than pace and power. Ps how many could kun have had but didn't or Jesus?
Oh deary me.

Lest you missed it, Aguero and him switched positions, and HIS JOB is to be on the end of crosses when he is in the middle. He was. Job done!

I was making reference to the shellacking I received for saying he can tap them in (usually, but apparently not in Burnley!). Clearly that point was lost on you, but that’s not your fault, as it was in another thread.

Carry on with your man love.

And, I have a pretty good clue “what I am talking about.”

Wilshire would be the closest example I'd say.

Exactly who I had in mind as the closest as well.
This is what I mean i agree but the point I'm trying to make is if a city fan can't understand that Wiltshire or Gundogan don't fall into the category of what coaches across the land have produced and value in cm's, in this country. I give up!. Strength, pace, power and a little technique have been historically and currently preferred qualities in the cm position. This is why most weekends little men like the two Silva's and Gundogan are able to pop the ball around them for fun as the emphasis in these players are in technique and intelligent. Anyone expecting Gundogan to run 30 yards like Delph and put in sliding tackles, dream the fuck on. Not his game. He's in the team to create and more importantly enable the team to retain possession.

I think some fans' feelings of frustration, not shared by me necessarily, is that they don't feel he creates enough compared to Silva, KDB or Bernardo so they prefer them. Delph and Fernandinho are more typical CM's so they are accepted, and Foden is a local lad who everyone has high hopes for and want to see get chances so this adds to attitudes of negativity towards Ilkay.

Gundo is slightly different than all of them and is not always directly linked to chances created, nor is he quite as good as the first 3 so that affects perception, I think. He did, however, create a chance today for Jesus that was very good, and Gabby could have very well put away but seems to have been forgotten.

Been taking in everyone’s posts. There’s also a couple from a while back that stood out to me. Dom made a point that he’d probably start for every other team in the league which is true. another one from a poster who’s name that I can’t remember who made fantastic points about his personality. He basically said some people have it out for Gundogan because he is soft spoken and a kind man so ppl can either unconsiously or consciously perceive him as being soft and weak on the pitch.

I think that’s the case here for me to an extent. I think that’s amplified by the fact that he has the lowest physicality of our midfield (not saying that the stereotype is applicable here either but it maybe enhances the negativity)

I also think he has the ability to be one of the best in the world if he really wanted to be. He has it all in the skill department. He could be a WC deep lying playmaker with ease if he tightened up a few holes in his game. With some development in physicality and athleticism he could be a very good to great box to box. He could easily be top 5-10 attacking midfielder. He’s probably perfectly suited to play as a deeper lying 8 like he does here and it’s up to you to decide if he has more he could add.

My biggest problem I suppose is that I’m seeing so much potential talent that’s being unused.

Obviously I have a minor vendetta with the guy but it’s strictly football related and has to do with issues that I think can and should be fixed. I got pigeonholed as the anti-Kun guy but I was just being objective and honest. It’s the same thing here. Kun fixed the issues I had and now he’s a full blown complete player and has a legitimate claim for best striker over Suarez and Lewadowksi.

I’m done bitching and complaining though. It’s up to Pep and Gundogan to decide if he’s playing his best football.

When he came on as usual we seemed to lose some of the pressing and speed of play. The game slowed down and we created less chances. How much of that was down to Gundogan or Mahrez and Jesus substitutions aswell I'm not sure, or were the more dynamic players that were left on the pitch like Bernado Sane and Silva just getting a bit tired. Seemed to take ages for Mahrez to even get a touch of the ball.

When he came on as usual we seemed to lose some of the pressing and speed of play. The game slowed down and we created less chances. How much of that was down to Gundogan or Mahrez and Jesus substitutions aswell I'm not sure, or were the more dynamic players that were left on the pitch like Bernado Sane and Silva just getting a bit tired. Seemed to take ages for Mahrez to even get a touch of the ball.

Perhaps that slowing down was under instruction with Lyon in mind.

A stat I thought was remarkable was that he passed it 46 times with a 100% success rate in 24 minutes. To put some context on that Bernardo passed 58 times in 90 and Fernandinho 67 times in 90.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.