Riyad Mahrez - 2018/2019 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry this is nonsense a fee doesn't sort out adaptability. £60M is a lot of money but in the era of fees for Neymar, Pogba, Coutinho, Van Djik etc. it is not exorbitant.
Every one of our other midfielders/ attacking midfielders Silva's, Sterling, Sane etc with the possible exception of KDB have taken time to settle, why not afford the same time to Mahrez?
This in a nutshell

Trying too hard and also too much information in his head. Our style is completely different to Leicester. Could of had 3-4 goals already but he’s not his usual self yet. Once he settles into the style he’s going to be amazing. I say by January.

Seems a little desperate whenever he's on the ball. The first goal can't come quick enough, but does he start ahead of Sterling or Sané? Don't think so!

He needs to improve the speed of thinking and execution. When he's 1 on 1 with a defender, his skill-set is pretty monotonous and predictable, therefore, it's all about how quickly he can make up his mind and execute it. Arjen Robben is probably the most one dimensional footballer in history but his decision making and the speed of execution is/was second to none. Everyone knew that he'll cut inside on his left but nobody could stop him in his prime, sometimes defenders can't even stop him now at the age of 34.

Mahrez has probably the second best close ball control in the world of football. Only Messi is better at it. You don't get nominated the player of the year in the Premier league by accident.

He needs to improve the speed of thinking and execution. When he's 1 on 1 with a defender, his skill-set is pretty monotonous and predictable, therefore, it's all about how quickly he can make up his mind and execute it. Arjen Robben is probably the most one dimensional footballer in history but his decision making and the speed of execution is/was second to none. Everyone knew that he'll cut inside on his left but nobody could stop him in his prime, sometimes defenders can't even stop him now at the age of 34.

Mahrez has probably the second best close ball control in the world of football. Only Messi is better at it. You don't get nominated the player of the year in the Premier league by accident.
Exactly what we thought about Bernado last season, isn't it ?

I really don't think it's about the system and him to adapt. Really. The problem is not that Riyad is losing all the balls he gets, failing to take-on defenders etc, nah the problem is that he's not even TRYING to. 0 risks only backward/sideway passes, the lad is a monster at dribbling and despite having many situations to provoke the fullback he prefers to pass it.

He's petrified by the fact that Guardiola is watching him and don't want to deceive him.

I really don't think it's about the system and him to adapt. Really. The problem is not that Riyad is losing all the balls he gets, failing to take-on defenders etc, nah the problem is that he's not even TRYING to. 0 risks only backward/sideway passes, the lad is a monster at dribbling and despite having many situations to provoke the fullback he prefers to pass it.

He's petrified by the fact that Guardiola is watching him and don't want to deceive him.

What does that mean?

Meh.

Mahrez is extremely talented - and was arguably the best player at Leicester.

He now comes into a team where everyone competing for his spot(s) is extremely talented. It's an adjustment.

I think he'll come good eventually.

If - and for me this is not clear at all at this point anyway - he has a lazy streak in him, where he prefers to coast, not giving it his all - well, then either Pep will correct this, or Mahrez will find himself on the bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.