Lyon (H) - Post Match Thread

I posted on here the very first time I saw a pre season training video. The whole thing looked half hearted and less intense. A very average start to the season.

People can bring out the fucking rag comments as per usual, but I comment on what I see and nothing more. No blue-tinted specs, just an assessment of the reality. This team is showing all the hallmarks of the last 2 title defences. It’s literally the same mental qualities on show, but a different way of playing. Ultimately however, the lack of the correct mental approach completely nullifies any tactical gains from having a better manager than the last two attempts to defend our title. People can refuse to acknowledge it, but without a dramatic shift in our players’ application, our outlook this season is the same. There’s no intensity, no tempo, our pressure is sporadic whereas it used to be relentless. Everyone sniggers at people that realise ‘do you know what, Liverpool look good for the title’. They refuse to accept it. But we’re not doing anything to show we want the title more than them. And we don’t look like we believe we can win the Champions League, so we won’t. I really don’t know what it is about these players following success. I feel like we’re in need of a rousing Vinnie speech at the training ground this week, he needs to crack some skulls and make everyone realise we have set ourselves standards that must be kept.

Not read the thread but I honestly couldn't give a shit about the champions League, let's get out and concentrate on the league the dippers won't have the squad to compete in both competions, so can see us opening up a gap between us especially if they progress to the semis etc

Hopefully wrong but I feel Peps first season is back. So far this season yes we have won but no where near the level of last year. I’m
Pissed off about last night but that was a woeful performance against a very average side. Something isn’t ticking

People can bring out the fucking rag comments as per usual, but I comment on what I see and nothing more. No blue-tinted specs, just an assessment of the reality. This team is showing all the hallmarks of the last 2 title defences. It’s literally the same mental qualities on show, but a different way of playing. Ultimately however, the lack of the correct mental approach completely nullifies any tactical gains from having a better manager than the last two attempts to defend our title. People can refuse to acknowledge it, but without a dramatic shift in our players’ application, our outlook this season is the same. There’s no intensity, no tempo, our pressure is sporadic whereas it used to be relentless. Everyone sniggers at people that realise ‘do you know what, Liverpool look good for the title’. They refuse to accept it. But we’re not doing anything to show we want the title more than them. And we don’t look like we believe we can win the Champions League, so we won’t. I really don’t know what it is about these players following success. I feel like we’re in need of a rousing Vinnie speech at the training ground this week, he needs to crack some skulls and make everyone realise we have set ourselves standards that must be kept.

Totally agree. I do believe that Sane and Mahrez played well when they came on, but the others need to look at themselves in the mirror and ask themselves do they believe that this performance on an individual level was good - the answer for me and all us who witnessed it is a resounding no.

For me we missed a trick not getting Fernan replacement, but thats done now. Pep will be going ballistic today at the whole lot of them....as we have seen he wont take people downing tools. It just wasnt good enough last night, the players approach was like you said. Not a chance Pep last night could make that many changes as the majority of the team out their were dross

They need to realise that last year is done and dusted, they have to show they want to the best again. Nothing less

If that's Pep's new tactics for this competition he needs to throw them in the bin and start again.

While KDB is out Bernardo has to start centrally every game. Gundogan and Jesus for me are only players to come off the bench, we look weak when both start. I am not convinced our central defence is aggressive enough without one of Ottamendi or Kompany. Delphs cock up tonight but for me Walker and at times Stones have total switch off moments every game, often costing us.

Fernandihno and D. Silva are starting to look like time is catching up with them in the middle. When our play breaks down teams are pouring through our midfield and that is why the dippers who have pace keep turning us over. Until we rectify this we will never win the champions league, better teams exploit it.

Early days but we must as a top priority get a very good DM in as soon as possible.

Nope the main problem was Fernandinho he is knackeref played every game and at his age it caught up tonight slow on ball slack passing closed down quickly lost ball and was at fault for both goals the guy needs looking after and rested in certain games.

We’re also missing KDB more than I thought we would. Nobody is stepping up (disclaimer: Bernado hasn’t got much chance stuck out wasted wide).

Totaly agree. It’s not just last nights match. It’s there to be seen. And we recognise it as we’ve been there twice.
Many on here prefer to shut their eyes and prefer to piss off Liverpool. I tell you what, if we end up priceless and in the same way as with Mancini and Pellegrini after winning the league, we have to get used to seeing Arteta on the touch line.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.