Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

You need to take a look at Joe Mercer Way after the next home game, and the queues for the trams.
No I don't because the subject is transportation of mass movements of people to and from the stadium to the City centre and the tram is niche - for those that live in an outlying district of Manchester close to a tram line it makes complete sense to use the tram. For those trying to get quickly from the etihad to the city centre it does not. There is an issue for the elderly and disabled but there are also buses. Really cars probably suit best but they are becoming impractical in Manchester, or more difficult. This is a big issue, but in terms of serving the transport of thousands of extra people, rightly or wrongly, I doubt it would be the first concern.

No I don't because the subject is transportation of mass movements of people to and from the stadium to the City centre and the tram is niche - for those that live in an outlying district of Manchester close to a tram line it makes complete sense to use the tram. For those trying to get quickly from the etihad to the city centre it does not. There is an issue for the elderly and disabled but there are also buses. Really cars probably suit best but they are becoming impractical in Manchester, or more difficult. This is a big issue, but in terms of serving the transport of thousands of extra people, rightly or wrongly, I doubt it would be the first concern.
I meant regarding the number of people leaving at full time. You mentioned a majority go via ANR, I say it's a fair few go via JMW. Difficult to say which is most though. I've done both routes.

Regarding the tram system it's still quicker to drive and park, and probably cheaper if more than one in the group. There needs to be a benefit somewhere. If going North, you usually have to swap trams in the centre, a real pain.

Expansion of the Campus is now considered a priority.

A feasibility study of the future use of the current landholdings (Collar Site I assume) was clear that additional land purchases would make for a much more attractive proposition.

Those snippets came to me second hand so cannot guarantee their accuracy.

Just a thought - Maybe 'they' will dredge Ashton Canal.
What a lovely way to cruise to the Etihad along the Cheshire Ring or on the canals from the east.
Bars , cafes, etc.

Just a thought - Maybe 'they' will dredge Ashton Canal.
What a lovely way to cruise to the Etihad along the Cheshire Ring or on the canals from the east.
Bars , cafes, etc.
Why not boat taxi’s in London and Bristol. Pretty good way to travel.

Spurs have already put in the rails for safe standing. They’d just need to swap out the plastic seats for ones that can be locked if there is a change in regulation.

I don't get the comments about the public transport. It takes me 45 mins to walk from my flat to the ground (that's near Deansgate station to the ground) and then about 10 mins to walk around the ground because my turnstile is on the far side of the ground. If I get the bus it takes me 1 hour to get from my seat to my flat.

If I go to google map and put the my post code in and City's post code they reckon it takes about 50 mins so that matches exactly what I do given that I have to walk around the ground. Is that unacceptable? I think that's OK.

My impression is that the vast majority of people walk en masse to the ground down Ashton New Road, but I don't have a bird's eye view. I just see huge numbers walking that way. It could be there are a lot of people walking in the opposite direction for all I know.

I remember a period when the Metrolink 2nd crossing was under construction,around that time the buses were unworkable and there was traffic snarled up across the City centre but at least as far as the buses are concerned I don't see that any more.

Perhaps your journey is peculiar, but in my experience vast numbers are making a relatively smooth trip into the ground by walking / taking the bus.

The problems for me start when I reach the ground and have to walk right around it because of the away fans barrier (my turnstile is just on the other side so I have to walk the long way round) and then the queues, fortunately for me, mine for some reason, seem to be the shortest).

I think you must have an atypical journey, or are using a tram. I refuse to use the trams but if I lived further out and on a tram line perhaps I would use them.

The experience of car drivers might be really bad for all I know, but that's not public transport and from what I see, MCC are trying to make it as difficult as possible for car drivers to get across the City centre. They want people to use public transport and not cars so I doubt there will be any improvements for cars over the next few years.

The important thing as far as serving the ground expansion is getting the vast bulk of people quickly in and quickly out and that does happen at the moment. There might be a relatively small number who have a peculiar issue but I don't think this is a general problem.

In brief you can get from the ground to the far side of the City centre in just under an hour and I've been doing just that for ages and that I assume represents the bulk flow of people to the ground. I am lucky, my journey ends there, whereas other people will be going a lot further but then that's not local transport and your comment related to local transport.
Yourwelcome to sit with me in SS3 and leave at the final whistle,walk over to that estate by the Old Rd where I park at my Aunts house and then proceed to sit in my car for anything up to 2 hrs as we trundle slowly down the Old Rd,along The Mancunian Way, Regents Rd and finally reach some kind of sanity on the M62 towards Warrington to try and get a feel for why people moan about getting away from the stadium...... I'll drop you at Warrington Central Station, you can make yer own way back...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.