Liverpool thread 2018/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
What match were you watching ? He made two excellent saves from Mahrez at the near post , and we dominated the 2nd half with chances and shots a nailed on penalty when VVD handled and the penalty we missed , if that is playing to avoid defeat i will take it everyday. If you going to post "logic" then try and be f*cking logical

If you are going to post try and be balanced. Excellent save at his near post? Hahaha it was a pea roller on his weaker right foot, if that's excellent then you are very easily pleased. The handball wasn't nailed on, Fernandinhos arm hitting him in the face might have help caused that but we should have had one first half for sure. We was the better team, my point is if you say Ederson didn't have a save to make then the same can be said the other way, especially when you consider both teams had two shots on target...……….

You’re contradicting yourself.

You say we won’t hit the points total of last season, but so far, we’ve only dropped four, two of which were the result of a handball criminally missed by the officials. The other two were at Klanfield, where we lost last season.

You then say we haven’t hit the heights of last season and still have KdB to come back.

So which is it?

Sadly you don't gain any extra points if we dropped points in a game where they scored a handball. We haven't hit last seasons heights in terms of how we have played, that's not to say we wont in spells especially when KDB is back but that doesn't mean we will get as many points. Many fine margins last season, last minute winners that I don't think we will get that number of points again even if at times we manage to play as well. That's football, Chelsea wont roll over and have their bellies tickled two games for starters. The fact no one has before got that many points would suggest I am probably right. Lets see what happens.

You're right in saying they did virtually nothing after the initial 15 minutes of bedlam. Really the game for any neutral must have been quite boring. I think there were about 7 shots each of which only two were on target. They didn't really go for it because they were knackered and Klopp was content to play for the draw. But my feeling was, and I may be wrong, that Pep also played for the draw. Ok, we could and should have won it at the end but I honestly don't think we outplayed them and the result was right. I read from my own songsheet and not a dipper or anyone else's songsheet.

It was a good result for us -point away gainst a direct rival is always positive. But in the circumstances I reckon it was a pretty good result for the dippers too.

I agree that Pep would and should be happy with a draw because we are usually naff at anfield and mistakes and a loss of heads have cost us dear like last season. But Pep has come out of this with the biggest tick next to his name. He put down a gameplan and tactics that allowed the dippers to blow their intense press, for us to then take control of the game, which we did, and make the home crowd go quiet.

All that was missing was the goals from open play and creating multiple chances. But we were getting through their backline on occassions and one of those led to the penalty. There may not have been the usual 15+ attempts we have in other games, but that was never going to be the case. The next step is to continue creating chances and more, but to take those chances when they arise and this is what Pep will be aiming for next.

Pep has identified the foundations now that are needed for when we play them from now onwards especially at anfield.

It was a job well done and Pep showed he can adapt his philosophy to what is deemed our nearest challengers and a bogey ground.

I too am at a loss as to where this sure fire progression will come from. Their front three had the season of their lives last year. Salah, Firminho & Mane will not repeat what they did last year.
These great signings they've made don't seem to be that great, at least yet anyway.
Allisson is an improvement, Kieta seems to be struggling & Fabinho has dropped off a cliff.
Their midfield three still lack creativity and the ability to retain the ball in an energy saving way.

I agree, we've not yet hit our heights, you could reason it's because our most explosive player hasn't kicked a ball yet. You could put it down the World Cup or temporary dips in form for Sané & Fernandinho. Both rapidly returning to form.

I personally think we're pacing ourselves, we're still top, best attack and defence, are yet to get out of third gear.

I think Liverpool & Chelsea will burn out in the league. The moment we open up a gap of 3+ points, everyone else will mentally adjust to playing for second and other honours.

I totally agree with the pacing ourselves statement. I honestly believe that after last seasons success Pep has identified that we do jot need to go pressing all the time and play in 5th gear in all games. We haven’t even got going yet and we sit 1pt better off than last seasons achievement, all the while liverpool have tried to establish a points lead asap but sit level and have started dropping off in terms of their pressing etc over the last few weeks

Even though they've the same points as us after 8 games after the money they've spent supposedly improving their team they still have Henderson, Milner and Wijnaldum (is that how you spell it?) running their midfield.....we should cruise it again!!

I totally agree with the pacing ourselves statement. I honestly believe that after last seasons success Pep has identified that we do jot need to go pressing all the time and play in 5th gear in all games. We haven’t even got going yet and we sit 1pt better off than last seasons achievement, all the while liverpool have tried to establish a points lead asap but sit level and have started dropping off in terms of their pressing etc over the last few weeks

We didn't have a proper pre season.

Pep mentioned then, how he has dealt with post World Cup situations, before (whilst Mourinho was crying about it all).

Liverpool pre season, were going flat out to gain an early advantage, after planning it all, last season, spending a shitload of money getting their transfer targets in early, for this season's big push.

They are currently 3rd, having just failed to beat City, who had no pre season, Chelsea twice, who had no manager til July & Napoli, who lost their manager to Chelsea in the middle of pre season & 2 points ahead of Arsenal, who Fat Sam said had got it all wrong, with 4 less goals, from the World's Best Front Three.

Not looking that great for them imo.

With respect, that's nonsense. We're nowhere near the level we were at last season yet, as a result of the World Cup and the injury to De Bruyne. But we will almost certainly improve after the international break. We showed last season just what we can do at "full capacity". Liverpool may yet improve too although, unlike us, there is no precedent to back that up yet. To say they have "far more scope and potential for upping their game as the season progresses" has no basis on reality.
Absolutely right. I’m not never sure they’ve got that much scope to improve. Someone said that Klopp’s style is much easier and quicker to implement than Pep’s because it’s simpler and doesn’t really require players to understand it as deeply as ours have to understand Pep’s. Press high up early on, force the opponents into mistakes, win the ball and get it to the front three. Like in 2013/14, with Suarez, Sterling & Sturridge, they’ve got a front three that can hurt you when they get a sniff. But it’s not a style that can evolve.

They had 12 draws last season, many of those against the bottom teams. If any team puts up the shutters against them, keeps it narrow and denies them space between the midfield and a deep-lying defence then they’re stuffed. Defensively they look better this season so they might be able to turn some of those 1-1’s against teams like West Brom or Swansea into 1-0’s but that doesn’t solve the problem of them breaking down a team set up to deny them. They set up slightly more conservatively than normal on Sunday as they were as wary of us as we were of them. Lallana is perhaps their only midfield player who can unlock a packed defence but he’s no Coutinho. Their style is static and in the PL teams get worked out, as we did in our title-defending seasons. Their last 3 games have shown that the better teams - Chelsea, Napoli and us - have worked them out. I’m not at all sure that it’s a pure coincidence that their front three aren’t firing this season; I think teams have been a bit more savvy.

Despite the result I'm still wary of Liverpool and Chelsea. Fabinho isn't fit enough but the talent is there. If they can be close come January (and this applies to Chelsea too) the window is open to strengthen a title challenge. I suspect a Rabiot will see us nicely to a successful defence, but I think Liverpool might get Fekir a second time of asking. Chelsea are unpredictable and I don't know who they would seriously go for who's available (striker is the weakness).

Was listening to coke head merson for all of 30 seconds got the drift thought the result was better for Liverpool yawn, he probably only caught 10 mins of the match with watching at the races, and sniffing shite in the bog the deluded fuck wit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.