Major Manchester bar operator goes into liquidation

Lives not too far from me (and Ric). He has some nasty neon lighting outside his lovely Victorian semi.

Not heard any rummors - last i heard was Hula in Heaton Moor was still pushing for a latter license than what they had and Tusk appeared to be going strong.
Sad news as the staff will get nothing.
That site on the corner that used to be Kro (and was previously a bakery) has never really washed its face. It's not big enough to do the numbers required to cover the overheads and I don't think the bar is set up to take enough money on a weekend - too many pinch points.

Went in Manchester a few Friday nights ago, northern quarter was dead, I think the rising price of booze and the we won’t let groups of lads in brigade put people off. It used to be possible to do both Friday and Saturday night out for a reasonable price but now with taxis etc getting change from £100 you’ll be lucky.

I'm not an accountant and maybe someone can correct me, but if a company goes into liquidation, doesn't it come up as in liquidation straight away on the Companies House website. This company is down as still active with nothing filed in the last few days at all.

The terminology around administration/receivership/liquidation is not straight forward. It's most likely going into administration - there is a notice period ahead of a court date, court approves the appointment of the administrators (also known a receivers), liquidation happens when everything has been managed down to nothing and is the final step. I don't know when things appear on companies house but there must some part of the formal process to be under way for a media outlet to publicise it.

Went in Manchester a few Friday nights ago, northern quarter was dead, I think the rising price of booze and the we won’t let groups of lads in brigade put people off. It used to be possible to do both Friday and Saturday night out for a reasonable price but now with taxis etc getting change from £100 you’ll be lucky.

Somewhere nice including a meal then I’d need £100.00 for a night to feel comfortable spending. I don’t think I’ve been out out since February. Next is Christmas with work!

The terminology around administration/receivership/liquidation is not straight forward. It's most likely going into administration - there is a notice period ahead of a court date, court approves the appointment of the administrators (also known a receivers), liquidation happens when everything has been managed down to nothing and is the final step. I don't know when things appear on companies house but there must some part of the formal process to be under way for a media outlet to publicise it.

I'm just being pedantic, but administrators are not also known as receivers. The full name of receivership is administrative receivership, which might be what you have confused. However the office holder in an administrative receivership (receivership for short) is always the receiver and the office holder of a company in administration is the administrator.

Receiverships are actually very rare these days as it requires the charge being used to put the company into receivership to have been registered prior to 2003.

LPA receiverships are different but they effectively only apply to property and they too only have receivers (in this instance, an LPA receiver)

Also, the court plays a much smaller part in approving the administrators' appointment these days although notices are still registered there.

If the company was in liquidation, it can take a few days to appear on companies house however you would see notices prior in the gazette, which doesn't appear to have happened

The media's reference to the company being in liquidation appears to all stem back to one director's quote, which I suspect was incorrect. As someone who works in the industry (in case you hadn't guessed !), that's pretty common and rarely deliberate. Directors often get confused between administration & liquidation, or will say the company is in liquidation when the company has ceased trading with a view to entering into liquidation, without having yet got to that point. I have no idea what has happened in this particular instance, but my best guess would be it's not currently either in liquidation or administration.

I wouldn't be remotely surprised by a media outlet getting it wrong - even so called financial journalists often write articles with basic schoolboy errors, like referring to the administrator of a company in liquidation - I'm sure it's the same for most people that whenever articles are written about their profession, or something they have a keen interest in, they spot just how riddled with errors the articles are

There was six of us in the Northern Quarter 4 weeks ago, three of us walked in the Bluu bar and the bouncer stopped the others, I wouldn't mind it was half full, crazy. Bad news abt the Walrus though as I liked a drink in there.

There was six of us in the Northern Quarter 4 weeks ago, three of us walked in the Bluu bar and the bouncer stopped the others, I wouldn't mind it was half full, crazy. Bad news abt the Walrus though as I liked a drink in there.
Well I walked past the blu bar today and it’s gone, converting to some sort of coffee place, in fact northern quarter had quite a few closed now.

Well I walked past the blu bar today and it’s gone, converting to some sort of coffee place, in fact northern quarter had quite a few closed now.

Lol, I'm 90% sure it was the Bluu bar we were in as we only go in there for the Erdinger they sell. Got me thinking now if it was another bar, doesn't suprise me though that it's bit the dust.

Similar thing happened to me but the bouncers let us in and someone on the bar wouldn't serve us because we were a group of lads. We had to point to the table we were at to show we were with girls!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.