BBC GMR match commentary

Although I had a ticket for last nights game (Fulham) I was unable to attend, still recovering from a surgical operation. I could not find a decent thread, none of the local pubs appeared to be showing it, so had to resort to listening to GMR on the City website. What a dreadful commentary it has become. The commentator and his pundit, (think it was Michael Brown) must have spent at least 40% of the game, waffling on about, how good City were, how poor and disinterested some of Fulham's players were etc etc. Totally disregarding what was happening in the match. The stats afterwards send we had 27 shots at goal, with ten on target , I cannot recall them describing more than 12 in total. When you are listening to a match commentary it should be about all the action on the field and only when play stops, should they then fill in with general comments. I got so fed up with it, that I am afraid I left early and switched off in injury time!

I have to agree. I clicked on the "Listen Live" option on the OS and was delighted to recognise the voice of Andy Buckley who will forever be remembered for his hysterical, falsetto commentary on Paul Dickov's goal at Wembley in 1999. Unfortunately this commentary was from a different galaxy. Michael Brown seemed happier swapping stories about his very varied career while Andy seemed content to ignore the game completely. The stream of anecdotes was punctuated by "and it's a goal" around the 18th minute but soon got back to the important stuff. I stuck it out till HT before following just the live feed on the OS.

Hasn’t been the same since Cheesy left. He was never a natural commentator but he always tried to do the job properly and focus on the game. The chemistry between Cheesy and Fred was much better than whoever’s paired together now.

Their city coverage is shit now, no blue Tuesday anymore, Bolton commentaries on instead of ours, pundits in the studio rather than at the match. They should pack it in.

Hasn’t been the same since Cheesy left. He was never a natural commentator but he always tried to do the job properly and focus on the game. The chemistry between Cheesy and Fred was much better than whoever’s paired together now.

Their city coverage is shit now, no blue Tuesday anymore, Bolton commentaries on instead of ours, pundits in the studio rather than at the match. They should pack it in.
It’s not great mate I agree, but those of us who can’t get to away games these days (and have p*ssed sky off) would be knackered without it. 5 live are simply obsessed with ratings (i.e. pandering to rags & red dippers) & therefore “professionally” despise City with a passion.

Last edited:
Literally can't believe anyone still uses this to keep up with our games. In 2018 honestly

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.