The Bert Trautmann story...

Great to hear these stories about Bert as sadly being too young to watch the great man play.

When you consider the life stories of Trautmann, Woosnam, Meredith etc we really have had some extraordinary characters represent the club.

Best one was when Woosnam was lined up to win his first tournament for years then discovered he had too many clubs in his bag. SORRY, wrong Woosie. lol

I remember watching a Pebble mill type programme years ago(maybe early 90s) and the late great Warren Clarke was being interviewed. He was talking about his love for City, being Jewish, then his total fascination with Trautmann and the fact he won the Jewish people over. He also mentioned a film about him which was in the pipeline. Sadly that film never happened, so this film is like heaven to any real blue. Did anybody else watch that interview or am I just gangsta trippin ??

I remember watching a Pebble mill type programme years ago(maybe early 90s) and the late great Warren Clarke was being interviewed. He was talking about his love for City, being Jewish, then his total fascination with Trautmann and the fact he won the Jewish people over. He also mentioned a film about him which was in the pipeline. Sadly that film never happened, so this film is like heaven to any real blue. Did anybody else watch that interview or am I just gangsta trippin ??

I remember that as well, I am sure he said he owned the rights to his story at the time. Shame he did not live to see the movie come to reality.
Looks like it will be out in the UK next year.

Ambitious new UK distribution outfit Parkland Entertainment, which was launched earlier this year by Parkland Pictures CEO John Cairns with former Arrow Films acquisitions director Tom Stewart, has made its first big pick-up.

The new company has acquired all UK rights to Trautmann, Marcus H Rosenmüller’s biopic about Bert Trautmann, the former German soldier who became a professional footballer in the UK, from Beta Cinema.

Trautmann was the goalkeeper who played in the FA Cup Final with a broken neck, the former Nazi soldier who became an idol to thousands of Man City fans. The film also tells of the love affair between Trautmann and Margaret Friar, who first met when the daughter of the manager of a local football team visited a POW camp near Manchester. Together, the couple overcame prejudice, outrage and personal tragedy.

David Kross and Freya Mavor star in the film, which had its world premiere at the Zurich Film Festival last month. The deal was negotiated by Stewart, now acquisitions director of Parkland Entertainment, and Thorsten Ritter at Beta Cinema. Ritter describes the new company “as the most passionate and dedicated distributor you can wish for… They will do anything to make this film a success.”

The film is a Lieblingsfilm and Zephyr Films production in association with British Film Company, SquareOne Entertainment, ARRI Media and ARD/Degeto. Robert Marciniak and Chris Curling together with Steve Milne produced. Trautmann will be released in the UK next year.

I remember that as well, I am sure he said he owned the rights to his story at the time. Shame he did not live to see the movie come to reality.
Looks like it will be out in the UK next year.

Ambitious new UK distribution outfit Parkland Entertainment, which was launched earlier this year by Parkland Pictures CEO John Cairns with former Arrow Films acquisitions director Tom Stewart, has made its first big pick-up.

The new company has acquired all UK rights to Trautmann, Marcus H Rosenmüller’s biopic about Bert Trautmann, the former German soldier who became a professional footballer in the UK, from Beta Cinema.

Trautmann was the goalkeeper who played in the FA Cup Final with a broken neck, the former Nazi soldier who became an idol to thousands of Man City fans. The film also tells of the love affair between Trautmann and Margaret Friar, who first met when the daughter of the manager of a local football team visited a POW camp near Manchester. Together, the couple overcame prejudice, outrage and personal tragedy.

David Kross and Freya Mavor star in the film, which had its world premiere at the Zurich Film Festival last month. The deal was negotiated by Stewart, now acquisitions director of Parkland Entertainment, and Thorsten Ritter at Beta Cinema. Ritter describes the new company “as the most passionate and dedicated distributor you can wish for… They will do anything to make this film a success.”

The film is a Lieblingsfilm and Zephyr Films production in association with British Film Company, SquareOne Entertainment, ARRI Media and ARD/Degeto. Robert Marciniak and Chris Curling together with Steve Milne produced. Trautmann will be released in the UK next year.
At last ! A kindred spirit :-D

Hope to see this when it comes out. Wondering how a film with actors and CTG re-creations will compare to the documentary with original footage from the archives.

Saw him play in a testimonial around '74.

Perhaps for Johnny Hart? He was in nets for the halftime match of city/United oldies v Everton/Liverpool.

He stayed on and played part of the second half of the main game I think it was Stoke and made a blinding save in front of the North Stand.

I'd love to know who else played in the oldies game.
I mentioned this in my Folklore piece the other week about testimonials. Joe Corrigan came out of his nets for Bert to go in. I was sat in the Platt Lane Stand and was only about 6 or 7 and I remember everyone going crazy around me. My dad said something like 'now you'll see a real legend'. Corrigan crouched next to the goal and watched every moment of Bert's performance. He obviously made a few decent saves to get us all a bit giddy too. In my memory Bert went in nets in front of the Platt Lane - because that's where I was sat - but I guess he could've played a few mins at both ends? It was Hart's testimonial v Stoke.

Hope to see this when it comes out. Wondering how a film with actors and CTG re-creations will compare to the documentary with original footage from the archives.

I was an historical consultant for the new film and have to say some of the acting is outstanding. I saw an early version of it a few months back (to check for accuracy) and John Henshaw (father-in-law) is superb. The actor who plays Bert performs some great Bert-like saves too and the CGI recreation of Maine Road will get a few fans sentimental. Inevitably, as this is a dramatic film there are some bits that City fans go, 'well it wasn't quite like that' and the Maine Rd CGI contains a few details that are different but, taking everything in to consideration, this will be a fantastic film and a great advertisement for our club. All Blues should watch it but please also drag along non-Blues when it comes out next year.

I mentioned this in my Folklore piece the other week about testimonials. Joe Corrigan came out of his nets for Bert to go in. I was sat in the Platt Lane Stand and was only about 6 or 7 and I remember everyone going crazy around me. My dad said something like 'now you'll see a real legend'. Corrigan crouched next to the goal and watched every moment of Bert's performance. He obviously made a few decent saves to get us all a bit giddy too. In my memory Bert went in nets in front of the Platt Lane - because that's where I was sat - but I guess he could've played a few mins at both ends? It was Hart's testimonial v Stoke.
I'm sure it was the north Stand end Gary, any records of the 'halftime'teams?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.