The Boxing thread

except leonard and ali didnt fight away from home...

Ali did fight away from home many times. And he fought everybody there was as for most of the time they were fighting for the undisputed championship. Not taking away from Furys achievement but beating a heavyweight like Wilder doesn't compare in my eyes to beating the likes of Frasier Foreman, Norton, Liston, Paterson, Quarry, Ellis, Shavers and several others all of which were significantly better boxers than the wild Wilder. Sorry but i dont think Fury is in Ali's League in comebacks let alone ability.

Leonard came back after three years out and defeated the undisputed and most formidable boxer of his generation in Marvin Hagler who was two weights heavier than Leonards welterweight.

Ali did fight away from home many times. And he fought everybody there was as for most of the time they were fighting for the undisputed championship. Not taking away from Furys achievement but beating a heavyweight like Wilder doesn't compare in my eyes to beating the likes of Frasier Foreman, Norton, Liston, Paterson, Quarry, Ellis, Shavers and several others all of which were significantly better boxers than the wild Wilder. Sorry but i dont think Fury is in Ali's League in comebacks let alone ability.

Leonard came back after three years out and defeated the undisputed and most formidable boxer of his generation in Marvin Hagler who was two weights heavier than Leonards welterweight.

Ali didnt fight away from home after his break from the sport (his comeback)....the rest of your chat is superflous really cause its waxing-on something fury never said

Leonards comeback was bonny enough...but it wasnt away from home....and whilst i respect your opinion and your right to have it, leonard dictated absolutley everything about the fight including the distance in a 15 round era ( marvins opinion is enlightening), i cant recall one person in the apollo that night thought sugar actually won...fury went on his lonesome, like he did to germany.

Ali didnt fight away from home after his break from the sport....the rest of your chat is superflous really cause its waxing-on something fury never said

Leonards comeback was bonny enough...but it wasnt away from home....and whilst i respect your opinion and your right to have it, leonard dictated absolutley everything about the fight including the distance in a 15 round era...fury went on his lonesome, like he did to germany.

After his comeback in 1970 Ali fought in Zurich, Tokyo, Vancouver, Dublin, Jakarta, Zaire, Kuala Lumpa, Manilla, Pueto Rico, Munich. None of which are in the US.he fought everyone and anyone before or after his forced exile and the fight against Foreman has to be the best comeback ever in boxing history. No one gave him a chance. Foreman was undisputed ans considered invincible and had destroyed Frasier.

I think you will find Fury said he was robbed of the greatest comeback in boxing history. Thats what my orignial post was in reponse to. Final point I don't know if you were arround when Hagler totally dominated the middleweight division for 7 years, but he was undisputed and considered a brilliant fighter and boxer. To compare Wilder to Hagler, with Wilder holding one of four heavyweight titles for three years without fighting any of the other leading contenders is frankly a strange one. But its all about opinions as you state!

Sorry pal i think your getting your apples and zebra-crossings arse about...it's why i mentioned anything other than Ali's comeback fight is absolutely superflous,, Zaire was'nt a comeback...Ali's comeback was mega but it was hometown...full stop.

Marvin being mega, you're preaching to the converted, do i consider having a knock-up stood in the centre of a ring with wilder greater than running around marvellous in the largest ring known to man for 12 rounds (and not 15 cause ray said so) and refusing to engage with a showboat pantomine at the round end...yeah i do consider it greater and presumably the 3 thousand punters in the appollo that night found it greater evidenced by them stood up booing the result. Great result for leonard but not a great performance...the polar opposite of fury saturday night.

Leonard & Hagler where my favourite fighters i couldn't choose a winner before the fight because i liked them equally but at the end & even now all these years later i couldnt believe Leonard got the verdict Hagler was the clear winner everyone apart from the ringside judges thought the same boxing politics may have come into it who knows .

Sorry pal i think your getting your apples and zebra-crossings arse about...it's why i mentioned anything other than Ali's comeback fight is absolutely superflous,, Zaire was'nt a comeback...Ali's comeback was mega but it was hometown...full stop.

Marvin being mega, you're preaching to the converted, do i consider having a knock-up stood in the centre of a ring with wilder greater than running around marvellous in the largest ring known to man for 12 rounds (and not 15 cause ray said so) and refusing to engage with a showboat pantomine at the round end...yeah i do consider it greater and presumably the 3 thousand punters in the appollo that night found it greater evidenced by them stood up booing the result. Great result for leonard but not a great performance...the polar opposite of fury saturday night.

I think you will find you said Ali never boxed away from home after his return. You were clearly wrong in that statement. Secondly If you cant count Alis incredible fights with Frasier and Foreman as comeback fights as he fought his way back up the fighting every contender on the way. Then surely you have to say Furys fight on sat wasn't a comeback as he fought a couple of non contender make weights before Wilder? so easy in fact that you perhaps forgot about them?? You can't have it both ways?

We shall have to dissagree about Leonard, he simply outboxed Hagler and refused to get in a slug match. Many thought so at the time including the judges. Same as Fury did to Wilder you could say? But sadly just not as effectively as he ended up on the deck a couple of times.

Anyway good debate. It's not the first time and won't be the last people discuss whos the greatest in boxing.

That aside Fury has impressed me ans many people i suspect. I hope he gets his rematch and then takes on Joshua.

Leonard & Hagler where my favourite fighters i couldn't choose a winner before the fight because i liked them equally but at the end & even now all these years later i couldnt believe Leonard got the verdict Hagler was the clear winner everyone apart from the ringside judges thought the same boxing politics may have come into it who knows .

Based on punches landed. Hagler didn't land many. That was the problem. It was a difficult fight to judge as Hagler was the more aggressive but you have to land to score.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.