Who do you dislike more, United or Liverpool?

Can someone do a long summary of how Liverpool achieved their success in the 70/80s by wealthy backers and not because of their accumulated success.
Shankly went to Liverpool in 1959 because he was promised by Tom Williams that he would have money to spend which Huddersfield (who Shankly was manager of at the time) didn't and had no further ambition as a club to be anywhere higher than they were.

After finishing third in Second Division Shankly released 24 of the 26 players on Liverpool's books and bought 22 new players. They finished 3rd again the next season. John Moores encouraged Williams and Shankly to spend his money on making Liverpool a top flight club for the first time since 1954. They signed Ian St John for the second highest transfer fee in Europe (as a Second Division club!) as well as other players and finished second and went up. Then they signed Yates, Thompson and Lawrence for big fees as well as others and won the league in 1964.

They won the FA Cup after that but didn't follow it with further success so they bought Hughes and Clemence for big fees then broke their club transfer record for Hateley and the record fee for a teenager in Evans...Lindsay, Lloyd and Heighway were all bought then they broke their club record again when signing Toshack and also signed Keegan then broke their transfer record again on Cormack. This was all during six years without winning anything leading to further spending which saw the success they are famous for.

Without money Liverpool would just have been another Second Division club, for, who knows how long?...! Nothing that ended up happening in the following quarter of a century would have happened without John Moores' (a Macunian) money.

They were even formed as a money club. The owner of Anfield, John Houlding, put the rent of Anfield up so high that Everton couldn't afford it and moved out. Houlding created his own club and in their first season, every single player on their books was Scottish, not a single local lad played for them, so they were hardly a club for the local people.

Last edited by a moderator:
I go walking the dog and sometimes meet fans, can tell how the conversation is going to go 90% of the time.

If it's a Utd fan it's usually questions and discussion and a polite laugh. Sometimes the odd dickhead
If it's a LFC fan its usually confrontational even if it's mild, nearly always though.

I go walking the dog and sometimes meet fans, can tell how the conversation is going to go 90% of the time.

If it's a Utd fan it's usually questions and discussion and a polite laugh. Sometimes the odd dickhead
If it's a LFC fan its usually confrontational even if it's mild, nearly always though.
Scouse fans in Gorton? Rags obviously but scousers?

One of my mate's Sister's is married to a Scouse Liverpool fan who moved here as a kid but day-to-day i do not see or meet random Liverpool fans around the Manchester area.

I m not from England so United means nothing to to me. The only 2 teams that I really dislike, from England, are Liverpool and Arsenal. Deluded, hypocrite, arrogant fans.

Shankly went to Liverpool in 1959 because he was promised by Tom Williams that he would have money to spend which Huddersfield (who Shankly was manager of at the time) didn't and had no further ambition as a club to be anywhere higher than they were. After finishing third in Second Division Shankly released 24 of the 26 players on Liverpool's books and bought 22 new players. They finished 3rd again the next season. John Moores encouraged Williams and Shankly to spend his money on making Liverpol a top flight club for the first time since 1954. They signed Ian St John for the second highest transfer fee in Europe (as a Second Division club!) as well as other players and finished second and went up. They signed Yates, Thompson and Lawrence for big fees as well as others and won the league in 1964.

They won the FA Cup after that but didn't follow it with further success so bought Hughes and Clemence for big fees then broke their club transfer record for Hateley and the record fee for a teenager in Evans...Lindsay, Lloyd and Heighway were all bought then they broke their club record again when signing Toshack and also signed Keegan then broke their transfer record again on Cormack. This was all during six years without winning anything leading to further spending which saw the success they are famous for.

Without money Liverpool would just have been another Second Division club, for, who knows how long?...! Nothing that ended up happening in the follwing quater of a century would have happened without John Moores' (a Macunian) money.

They were even formed as a money club. The owner of Anfield, John Houlding, put the rent of Anfield up so high that Everton couldn't afford it and moved out. Houlding created his own club and in their first season, every single player on their books was Scottish, not a single local lad played for them, so they were hardly a club for the local people.

How did this Tom williams have so much money ?

Many, just not full 90 minutes

Plus i have followed Klopp for longer, hard to dispute that him & Pep are the best coaches in the game atm
Not hard to dispute at all,pep is the best in the world,as much as i hate mourinho he has won more than klopp in the last 4yrs klopp has been here,in fact raneri ,arsene and pelligrini have won more in the time klopp has been here

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.