VAR (PL introduction 2019)

No point closing the stable door now. VAR is a reality, so all those things you're saying aren't going to matter. But I agree totally that so much of it is subjective that we're going to be exchanging one set of arguments for another - the best we can hope for is an improvement in some areas, with the understanding that things like long delays are going to be the price paid for it.
But we have long delays now. Players pretending to be injured, deliberate time wasting, linesmen getting injured like at our last match.

But we have long delays now. Players pretending to be injured, deliberate time wasting, linesmen getting injured like at our last match.

That's true, but crowd dissatisfaction with standing watching a referee pressing a finger to his ear is pretty clear. It's not insurmountable of course - letting the crowd see what is going on would be a step towards that, and I suspect something that will have to happen.

From Telegraph article :
"Despite the assistant referee initially flagging for offside, that decision was overturned by video technology and a penalty awarded based on the image below:"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal..._source=LI&li_medium=li-recommendation-widget

Now another report is claiming VAR officials did not have access to the angle that Sarri pointed to which just shows how badly this is being implemented.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...-harry-kane-goal-did-not-have-access-chelsea/
And yet I’ve watched it a dozen times and he doesn’t flag.

Not like a write up to be wrong though as we all know.

That's true, but crowd dissatisfaction with standing watching a referee pressing a finger to his ear is pretty clear. It's not insurmountable of course - letting the crowd see what is going on would be a step towards that, and I suspect something that will have to happen.
I would welcome that and hearing the comms whilst they’re deciding the outcome as well. Those in the ground would then have a detailed view of what’s going on and how the outcome was arrived at. It does raise suspicion when they wrap everything up in cloak and dagger - remember how long they resisted GLT, now non goals like the 1.12cm from Liverpool aren’t even in doubt. Imagine paying good money and attending a match and not being valued enough to be informed of what’s happening with match decisions that go to VAR.

I would welcome that and hearing the comms whilst they’re deciding the outcome as well. Those in the ground would then have a detailed view of what’s going on and how the outcome was arrived at. It does raise suspicion when they wrap everything up in cloak and dagger - remember how long they resisted GLT, now non goals like the 1.12cm from Liverpool aren’t even in doubt. Imagine paying good money and attending a match and not being valued enough to be informed of what’s happening with match decisions that go to VAR.

Now, that's the interesting one. They've always refused that point blank - possibly because of the abuse and swearing that might go on. Like so much to do with football, they're never prepared to put up with the two weeks of chaos before players learn to keep their mouths shut. I guess there's no reason it couldn't be turned on for the VAR and off again afterwards, but it's a slight surprise football has never cottoned on to the potential ref link sales that are possible in the stadium.

That's a Star Trek answer I'm afraid.
It's not, the tech has been around since the early 90s.
https://www.aerialcamerasystems.com/rails-wire

Mass produced up to 170m in length, tracking up to 75km/h with instantaneous reaction to changes, incredible frame rates and programming them to stick to the furthest right or left sensor would be child's play.
That's off the shelf stuff, not even custom made.

Now, that's the interesting one. They've always refused that point blank - possibly because of the abuse and swearing that might go on. Like so much to do with football, they're never prepared to put up with the two weeks of chaos before players learn to keep their mouths shut. I guess there's no reason it couldn't be turned on for the VAR and off again afterwards, but it's a slight surprise football has never cottoned on to the potential ref link sales that are possible in the stadium.

Could just have var refs on mic like in cricket

It's not, the tech has been around since the early 90s.
https://www.aerialcamerasystems.com/rails-wire

Mass produced up to 170m in length, tracking up to 75km/h with instantaneous reaction to changes, incredible frame rates and programming them to stick to the furthest right or left sensor would be child's play.
That's off the shelf stuff, not even custom made.

Individual components saying tracking is possible is simply not the same as being able to do multiple targets and positioning over a football field including all elements required for a fully three dimensional picture. You have 14 cameras needed just for goal line technology, the scale required for an entire football field, 22 players and a ball is off the scale.

Individual components saying tracking is possible is simply not the same as being able to do multiple targets and positioning over a football field including all elements required for a fully three dimensional picture. You have 14 cameras needed just for goal line technology, the scale required for an entire football field, 22 players and a ball is off the scale.
You don't need 22 players, you're over-complicating it. You need the deepest outfield player on each side, a wide field lens and as high a frame rate as possible. The tracking part is easy.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.