Schalke Travel Plans

Düsseldorf for me from Heathrow first thing Tuesday morning and back Thursday night ... Not been before if anyone has any recommendations for lively bars ..
Düsseldorf Altstadt is good for loads of little bars. Around 40 minute train journey to Gelsenkirchen (which is free if you get the regional train, as covered by your match ticket). Duisburg and Bochum are nearby Gelsenkirchen, although Bochum is supposedly the better of the two for drinking.

We have a lot of Germans from around that region on Bluemoon, who may be of assistance, including: @Schalker and @German Blues, even @Maldeika should know a bit.

Taking the opportunity to visit a family war grave in Soignies near Brussels so travelling Monday, overnight in Brussels, City walking tour Tuesday morning then train to Gelsenkirchen in the afternoon. Flying back from Düsseldorf Thursday afternoon.

Going Monday to Friday staying in dusseldorf Monday Tuesday staying in gelsenkirchen on the wendsday night back in dusseldorf Thursday flight back home Friday can't wait

Düsseldorf Altstadt is good for loads of little bars. Around 40 minute train journey to Gelsenkirchen (which is free if you get the regional train, as covered by your match ticket). Duisburg and Bochum are nearby Gelsenkirchen, although Bochum is supposedly the better of the two for drinking.

We have a lot of Germans from around that region on Bluemoon, who may be of assistance, including: @Schalker and @German Blues, even @Maldeika should know a bit.
Thanks mate, very helpful that

I seldom in my life have been in that region - mostly it was drive throughs on the way to Belgium, France or Luxembourg. I was twice for seminars in the headquarters of my former employer in Cologne - once we stayed a week in Cologne, the other time in Düsseldorf. In the region next to the trainstation in Düsseldorf there is masses of small beer halls, we haven't had any problems to find something every evening - same in the Altstadt of Cologne. Düsseldorf is the posh and fashion city of the region - there you probably can find bars and restaurants of all qualities. Same probably with cologne even it has more tourists. Bochum and Duisburg are like Gelsenkirchen "worker cities". But I guess even there you should not have any problems.

Gündogan's father was working for a brewery in Gelsenkirchen driving beer and soft drinks to the bars. So I guess even in Gelsenkirchen are enough of them. Until Gündogan was 16 he had to help him in his holidays.

Last edited:
Manchester to Eindhoven by ryanair showing £93 now return out Wed. ret. Fri. Leaves 6 hours to get to Gelsenkirchen.

2 of us Costa Blanca Blues, Alicante to Dusseldorf international 19th to 21st €14,99 return, one of the benefits of living in Spain, but home games are a different story
Staying at the Excelsoir in Dusseldorf

I have stayed in Dusseldorf when we played at Gladbach before so wanted to do a bit of sightseeing in Cologne instead. Is this a bit of a trek? Looked on DB Trains website and it's about an hour and 10.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.