David Silva new appearance record for MCFC

The issue I have with distinguishing Premier League as opposed to all time records is what about the likes of Ian Brightwell?
He made 320 odd appearances for City that straddled both pre and post Premier League stats (and yes some of those were outside the top flight too) so his overall record is higher (to date) than Silva's but he slips through the Premier League list of high appearance players because his first 6 seasons record is wiped out. Same with Steve Redmond, David White, Paul Stewart (with City and Spurs) and Andy Hinchcliffe. (City and Everton)

Those of us who remember and have lived long enough to remember pre-Premier League inception (myself included) will know as you evidently remember there are plenty of players who have played more league (Division 1 and PL) appearances than Silva.

We also need to remember Division 1 teams agreed to break away from the Football league run divisions and set up a new FA run Premier League. So effectively this is a new stand alone Prem League which an agreement was made with the Football League to allow relegation and promotion between the different associations. Therefore it is a different competition. Like you though I was born in the late 60’s and struggle with the idea it is a different competition.

Maybe some of the older blues could explain to a 20 something, why Oakes had all those appearances and never played for England once? Found this odd.

Obviously he's a legend, but I never got to see him play. Was he unfairly overlooked?

Alan Oakes was a superb servant for City (His cousin is Glyn Pardoe) he wasn't a fancy footballer, but 100% dependable and strong as an Ox.

Amazing to think when we won the league in 1968 the entire usual first team were English.

Dowd/Mulhearn, Book, Pardoe, Doyle, Heslop, Oakes, Summerbee, Bell, Lee, Young, Coleman. Sub David Connor.

Alan Oakes was a superb servant for City (His cousin is Glyn Pardoe) he wasn't a fancy footballer, but 100% dependable and strong as an Ox.

Amazing to think when we won the league in 1968 the entire usual first team were English.

Dowd/Mulhearn, Book, Pardoe, Doyle, Heslop, Oakes, Summerbee, Bell, Lee, Young, Coleman. Sub David Connor.
.....Summerbee, Bell, Lee, Young, Coleman.....ah, brings a tear to my eyes.

"PL record" means nothing. PL was just a rebrand, nothing more.

Long may Dave continue to move up our list of top flight appearances

This means nothing. He’s an absolute legend already but he doesn’t need spurious bollocks like this. It’s appearances, full stop. Not “Premier League” nonsense. Otherwise Serge woud have smashed the all-time goalscoring record about 3 weeks after arriving.

This means nothing. He’s an absolute legend already but he doesn’t need spurious bollocks like this. It’s appearances, full stop. Not “Premier League” nonsense. Otherwise Serge woud have smashed the all-time goalscoring record about 3 weeks after arriving.
Bloody hell, he had a good start but it took him a couple of years to catch Anelka.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.