Football Leaks/Der Spiegel articles

karl-heinz-rummenigge-und-uli-hoeness-hier-am-letzten-bundesliga-spieltag-.jpg

I think it was definitely this pair of twats

Dodgy watch salesman and the tax fraudster.

You wouldn't get very far taking that line with Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal etc. Whilst we have been efficient we have spent a lot more than other Premier League clubs. The only club who comes close is Man Utd.

A 5 year comparison

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-league/fuenfjahresvergleich/wettbewerb/GB1

The transfermarkt data does not take into account City's Premier League 2, or u-18s and it inflates our net spending (which for example is more or less flat this season), but it's a guide.

A 10 year comparison

https://www.goal.com/en/news/1862/p...-man-city-who-has-spent-more-money-since-2008

It depends what time period you take of course. If you were to allow for transfer inflation and reviewed Man Utd's spending under pre-Ferguson and during his era, I think it would be off the scale. They smashed more British transfer records than anyone else.

It would be natural now for City's transfer spending to subside somewhat.

We should also include the infrastructure spend as well.

Why be defensive about this and pretend we have not spent as much as people think? We are just playing catch-up after years in the wilderness and City have been profitable for some time so the up-front investment worked by normal business standards.
Why let them hide behind net spend though? That whole comparison, only compares net spend and the flaw in that comparison is, we are not a selling club.

Would it be "good for football", if we underpaid Aguero to save ourselves a few quid and then held him and the buying club to ransom, when Real or Barca came in with an offer? All so that, we could bag ourselves a market inflating transfer fee and tell ourselves "this is the right way, what we've done here is brilliant for football"... well it's not is it? You're inflating the market as much as the buying club, it takes two.

Any good comparison, along with the --much loved by dippers-- Net Spend figures should include Gross Spend and Wages. If you compare those figures from United and Liverpool to us, we don't fare half as bad as you'd expect, with the amount of preaching going on. They have no room to preach really. Spurs are probably the only ones with a case to anymore. United last season had the highest wage bill, Liverpool were 3rd according to some sources. This season, United are said to be second only to Barcelona, in the highest wage bills in European football. Making them the first PL club to exceed £300m a season, I believe but it's not like our press would unanimously write headlines berating us, if we were in that position(secretly celebrating, that they have yet more to bash us with). We already know the story with Gross Spend, we have the highest but they aren't a long way behind on that, meaning they're simply not in a position to preach, as they're constantly doing.

https://www.totalsportek.com/money/liverpool-player-salaries/

Gross Spend Last 5 Years(Expenditure)
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-league/transfers/wettbewerb/GB1

Manchester City
18/19 - £65.06m
17/18 - £285.75m
16/17 - £192.15m
15/16 - £187.47m
14/15 - £79.47m

Total: £809.9m

Man United
18/19 - £74.43m
17/18 - £178.56m
16/17 - £166.50m (Paul Pogba only £94m?)
15/16 - £140.40m
14/15 - £175.82m

Total: £735.71m

Liverpool
18/19 - £163.98m
17/18 - £151.23m
16/17 - £71.91m
15/16 - £112.86m
14/15 - £136.29m

Total: £636.27m

Last edited:
At the end of the day they wear leather shorts and turn each other upside down for a bottom spanking, so a spot of industrial sabotage is well within their capabilities.....

Last time I was in Bavaria for Oktoberfest, my hosts insisted that we all go in local costume. I plaintively said that I felt it disrespectful to dress in something like lederhosen when I'm not even German, and that I passionately believe such things are for locals not a fancy dress effort.

They nodded sagely and said they appreciated my respect.

Fucking result!!

Last time I was in Bavaria for Oktoberfest, my hosts insisted that we all go in local costume. I plaintively said that I felt it disrespectful to dress in something like lederhosen when I'm not even German, and that I passionately believe such things are for locals not a fancy dress effort.

They nodded sagely and said they appreciated my respect.

Fucking result!!

Ha ha, nicely played! Re the Oktoberfest, it coincided with Munich vs City in 2011 and was one of the best away trips I’ve ever been on. T-shirt weather as well.

You wouldn't get very far taking that line with Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal etc. Whilst we have been efficient we have spent a lot more than other Premier League clubs. The only club who comes close is Man Utd.

A 5 year comparison

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-league/fuenfjahresvergleich/wettbewerb/GB1

The transfermarkt data does not take into account City's Premier League 2, or u-18s and it inflates our net spending (which for example is more or less flat this season), but it's a guide.

A 10 year comparison

https://www.goal.com/en/news/1862/p...-man-city-who-has-spent-more-money-since-2008

It depends what time period you take of course. If you were to allow for transfer inflation and reviewed Man Utd's spending under pre-Ferguson and during his era, I think it would be off the scale. They smashed more British transfer records than anyone else.

It would be natural now for City's transfer spending to subside somewhat.

We should also include the infrastructure spend as well.

Why be defensive about this and pretend we have not spent as much as people think? We are just playing catch-up after years in the wilderness and City have been profitable for some time so the up-front investment worked by normal business standards.

We’ve spent almost the same as Liverpool since the premier league was formed, i know who spent their money the wisest.
I’d guess we’ve spent much less the the rags and Chelsea, but more than Arsenal and Spurs.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.