Has the Full Back Problem returned?

Walker has been poor for a while. He is a weak link. He struggles to keep possession with his woeful passing and his crossing is dreadful.
He is strong and quick though so he does bring something to the squad.

I'm not a fan of Mendy either. He also gives it away a lot. Defensively he is not great and is always injured anyway. He was injury prone before we signed him though so this isn't new.

I'd love 2 new young fullbacks this summer.

Walker is an athlete who is playing football, he doesn’t have a first touch when the ball is played into him. I hope Pep is playing back those aimless punts that went 40 foot in air but ended up 10 yards further forward he kept doing against Newcastle.

We have turned dipper players heads previously can we not go balls deep and take their full backs off them. We know they are a selling club and the purple patches Liverpool have had in the past like 2014 end up falling to pieces the season afterwards.

We’ve been seriously hampered this season in that area. Walker has gone to shit, Danilo was injured for most of the season and the same with Mendy. We’ve rarely been able to put out our best 11 and with the attacking threat that modern day full backs give you it’s been a huge miss for us.

Pep expects a lot from the fullbacks, they are integral to the way he wants to play. Walker just needs a rest - remember he did come back early from his summer hols. We do need another left back though to provide genuine competition and/or injury cover. Hate to say it but LFC got Robertson for next to nowt & TAA came through their academy didn't he ?

Mendy is a big miss.

Is he? As others have said he always look a bit of a liability defensively when he has played as he goes marauding forward leaving all sorts of gaps at the back. Obviously as an attacking force he's something else but I worry about him as a defender.

Pep expects a lot from the fullbacks, they are integral to the way he wants to play. Walker just needs a rest - remember he did come back early from his summer hols. We do need another left back though to provide genuine competition and/or injury cover. Hate to say it but LFC got Robertson for next to nowt & TAA came through their academy didn't he ?
Came back from holidays early but didn't bring his brain back with him, his mistakes are not down to tiredness, he's as likely to make a mistake after 5 mins on pitch as in the 90th minute. Imo.

Is he? As others have said he always look a bit of a liability defensively when he has played as he goes marauding forward leaving all sorts of gaps at the back. Obviously as an attacking force he's something else but I worry about him as a defender.
I love Mendy's enthusiasm - and there's no doubt that on offense he's a huge asset.

But on defense he's a huge liability. And Pep has expressed exasperation at Mendy's work ethic/seriousness.

I'd give Mendy another season to shape up - on defense and work ethic - and if he doesn't pan out, I'd sell him.
==
I'm satisfied with Walker at right - having a down year.

I'm OK with Danilo as backup to both left and right.

I'm OK with Delph as backup LB - and he can cover at DM as well - he's having a bit of a down turn but I expect that this is a temporary setback for him.

I'm not satisfied with Mendy at LB - he needs to up his defensive game a lot if he's to be our preferred starter at LB - but I honestly believe that Mendy will never be a good defender.
==
We have a similar player in Sane at LW that defends OK as a winger and who seems to offer comparable advantages on offense.

Keep Sane - sell Mendy - unless Mendy can show some sort of defensive prowess - or unless Mendy is willing to be frequently dropped as a starter when we face dangerous opponents.

Play Danilo in his natural position at RB.
Give Walker a few weeks off and hope that helps.
Get Mendy fit as soon as possible and playing a consistent run of games.
Sign a first choice LB in the summer to compete with Mendy and get rid of Delph.

"Mendy - His injuries are killing us." Oh really. It's a problem but put it in perspective.

Mendy's injuries have caused City problems, but problems we have dealt with. It's a bit sad of you to raise this just as he is about to return from injury.

Walker? Form. Obvious.

I understand we have some issues at full back but they are temporary problems of form and fitness. The initial problems, in Guardiola's first season, were dealing with players at the end of their careers.

Fact is Mendy's injuries have had us chopping and changing at that position all season, not his fault, injuries happen but we should have a back up as well. We have to buy a left back to compete for that spot with him. He's still young so has time on his side but he needs a good few months of consistently playing, 2 major injuries in back to back seasons, he needs to try and get over that now.

Can't build a team around players nearing the end but you also can't build a team around injured players, so I think there is a comparison to be had there.

Anyone seen that Kyle Walker tweet hes just instantly deleted?
We lose ground after another loss. He plays woeful.... And then he decides to post a tweet taking the piss out of them for drawing! MADNESS!

Just play better Kyle and we'll take the piss in May.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.