David Silva - 2018/19 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Appears to be playing a slightly deeper role recently. Think his performance was good today, much better than recent matches
Yeah it was unusual but probably for the best. Normally he gets up more and KDB hangs back, but today KDB was playing a far more attacking role than last year and David sat deeper like you said.

I think we're less in need of his creativity than previously with the talent we have, assuming others are up to standard. But he has a calming influence that really bolsters our whole XI when he's in the middle.

I expect Dave to have a much quieter second half of the season. He's been made to play much more than he should because of KDB's injuries and had to take on a lot more of the burden of creating than in the last 2 years.

Just like KDB should be fresher than anyone else, Dave will probably fade.

It'll be a hard job for Pep & co. to manage him and try to get him to the big KO games in good condition.

I thought he had a decent 2nd half.
However , his first half was a pretty typical example of his post Xmas form.

The game just seems to be passing him by and I do feel a wee bit frustrated with him.
Is it just me but his performances just seem to drop at this time of year.

He operates superby on the inside left with Sane. He did get an assist against Newcastle and there was no Sane today so no movement to play in around the sides. He did have one chance today in the second half where he ghosts into the box but keeper made a save.

Agreed he was quiet today and perhaps we just had too many creative players on display. Can't say I have seen Bernardo KDB Silva and Gundogan play at the same time before. Could be wrong

Had an improved second half but I thought he was pretty anonymous in the first and it was a problem when arsenal seemed to get on top a little bit for 20mins in the first half.

I also think the result against Liverpool glossed over the fact he was our only player who didn't really show up in that game either.

I hate saying this as he's possibly the best Ive ever seen play for us, but I do think that at 33 he might not be the best choice in some of these more high intensity games. Still has a lot to offer and he's an inspirational player to have in the line up but I think we need to be more selective about when best to deploy him.I'm so glad we've got Bernardo as his successor though.

He hasn't been good enough, in recent times, to qualify as one of our 'best' 11 players.

My question would be 'why' ?

He wasn't lacking physically earlier in the season, in spite of his age & I don't believe his touch would just fall off a cliff, overnight. So my conclusion is that like Sergio, in so many seasons past, DS is carrying some kind of niggling injury which is impeding him.

That could end up going either way if true, he could remain below par, or get fit again & murder teams at the end of the season for us.

Thought he looked better when he switched to the left wing and Sterling came inside
He was a bit better. On 74 minutes he showed a few skills on the wing, apart from that he was pretty anonymous. Wasn't running into space like he usually does, he looked disinterested and tired. I'm not writing him off though, he still has plenty of games left. But perhaps he's beginning to show he's past his best now: (

He hasn't been good enough, in recent times, to qualify as one of our 'best' 11 players.

My question would be 'why' ?

He wasn't lacking physically earlier in the season, in spite of his age & I don't believe his touch would just fall off a cliff, overnight. So my conclusion is that like Sergio, in so many seasons past, DS is carrying some kind of niggling injury which is impeding him.

That could end up going either way if true, he could remain below par, or get fit again & murder teams at the end of the season for us.

He’s simply playing like a 33 year old midfielder in the most hectic league in the world should over the course of a season. Last season was an anomaly - even the younger players appear to have lost a degree of intensity this year....

He probably can’t be arsed anymore; he’s won everything outside of the Champions League, he’s made an outrageous amount of money and now has a family of his own to think about. There’s no reason for him to compromise living in a cold climate anymore, while he could still earn a good amount playing for one of Spain’s top clubs for a few years and have a better chance of winning that elusive Champions League medal to complete the set too.

If we don’t win it this year, he’ll probably (rightly) think we never will; it’ll be Pep’s 3rd full season, with a £900m squad, and 8 years since he last coached a team to a final - there aren’t many other variables that can be factored in to make it more likely.

He was a bit better. On 74 minutes he showed a few skills on the wing, apart from that he was pretty anonymous. Wasn't running into space like he usually does, he looked disinterested and tired. I'm not writing him off though, he still has plenty of games left. But perhaps he's beginning to show he's past his best now: (
Didn't look disinterested imo, there was a period in the 2nd half where only he and Sergio were closing down Arsenal. His form of late has been worrying though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.