"The Keeper"

Which of the 2 books about bert is the better read. The one by catherine clay or the one by Rowling. ??.

Lev Yashin said there were only two great keepers in his day: himself(!) and Bert, who was my first great City hero.

Interesting bit from the trailer.." whats up with his neck?"...."its a war wound"
I wonder if the film will shed any more light on this...it could be completely unrelated to the 1956 injury...

Just going back to the point raised in a prev thread re the neck injury..and noting other posters recollection of Bert having neck trouble prior to the Wembley final...ive checked Ray Goble's "Manchester City..a Complete Record 1887-1987" book and its interesting to note that after making his debut midway thru the 1949/50 season,Trautmann missed only 3 games up until season 1955/56.....During this season he played 40 league games out of 42,missing only Burnley at home (April 14th) and Luton away.(.April 21st) presumably through injury,,?. Before returning for the last match of the season away at Portsmouth(April 28th)...which i believe coincided with him collecting his Player of the year award around that time...

It was mid December 1956 before Trautmann played again after the final.

I suspect Trautmann did have a problem towards the end of the 55/56 season..but no way was he going to miss the FA cup final...and true grit and determination made this Blue man of steel present himself for both the POTY award and the Cup final....@Vienna70 recalls some info on a neck injury prior to the final..

I am very interested to know if the film sheds any light on this point...it may well be that the arguably the greatest keeper this country has ever seen...was also..,by far,..the bravest.

Wow that's looks great cant wait for it
My uncle used to go on about bert being his football hero
But then again he said big Frank was better

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.