Goodbye A380

The sonic booms were always a bigger issue with supersonic planes than fuel afaik.

Correct. Until someone clever comes up with a way of masking a sonic boom, or until they effectively go into space to avoid it, supersonic aircraft are confined to only flying over the sea where people can't complain about it. Concorde only did the Atlantic runs ultimately for a reason.

Only because the yanks banned SS flight over the mainland.
Of course this was because they had pulled out of SS passenger plane development.
I bet when the second generation yank planes come along you’ll see the regs changed.
The current trial prototype aircraft have much reduced sonic boom anyway.

did you manage to see the new Beluga at Broughton today?

We’ve been in London for the last two days .. bad timing so no.. we didn’t see the XL version..

UPDATE ... we saw the Beluga XL take off this morning.. the Beluga paintwork is pretty cool I think... no noisier than the smaller version I thought but pretty impressive

Last edited:
Fantastic piece of machinery feels like it just hangs in the air and zero movement. Such a shame they probably won’t be seen in 25 years time. Weird they are being mothballed but they are now looking at new supersonic airliners again, wasn’t Concorde seen as a gas guzzler?
Yes, one stat was that Concorde used as much fuel taxiing to the runway as a BAe ATP did flying from London to Edinburgh.
Engine technology has moved on a lot since then.

Like Concorde a triumph of aviation is taken away because capitalism rules.

Engineers must wonder why they bother.

Like Concorde a triumph of aviation is taken away because capitalism rules.

Engineers must wonder why they bother.
It’s going to be flying for another 30 years and there’ll be over 300 of them in total, so they’re hardly being taken away any time soon.

Fucking ugly. Too many engines. Hub and spoke philosophy died before the first 380 flew.
But what do i know? I flew the L1011 which had exactly the same flaws (minus the bad looks) just 30 years earlier.

The Tristar was an old bird Dad but respectful of me to affirm it was also a looker even though at every given opportunity you continue to diss Airbus because your a Boeing fanboy.We both really enjoy flying except for that take off bit and that landing bit and so as a consequence are connoisseurs of Airplane disasters with Aircraft investigation on the Discovery channel and in some instances we can actually beat the NTSB in finding due cause. Last night we both got it right as they forgot to set their flaps and slats for take of so regrettably no lift and the final protection for the aircraft had been disabled pre-take off because of a faulty sensor switch. I think from memory they had three opportunities to do this but because of delays time restraint and infernal 120 degrees summer heat in the cockpit it was regrettably omitted.

However once we are up there the views are immense and we take for granted the dedication and steadfast work that goes into creating this amazing technological marvel that has graced our skies throughout the Millenia. Not trying to big you up but you really do a splendid job carrying us mortals point to point and so hats off to your skill-set and bravery.Chicago blue is another pilot chap off here that also transverses the globe on his daily sabbatical flying out of Chicago where Ted Striker from Airplane fame miraculously set down his stricken 747 at O'Hare despite suffering flashbacks over Tota Bora.I think our golden age of flying was in the 70's and 80's alongside McDonald Douglas,the Boeing 747 and the L10 11'S.You could even spark up back then with impunity but only in the designated smoking sections.Our first ever flight was in 1979 in an Aviaco plane and the bug has been with us ever since.Speaking of Ted Striker here he is ferrying a sick child in need of a transplant into that Windy City.

Last edited:
Love the plane. Very quiet and comfortable inside whenever I fly in them.

I love the the aircraft. Although flying economy is not such a great experience IMO , takes to long to get everyone on and not enough stewards on board to get the required amount of alcohol for the flight.

I did a lot of work for Airbus on the A380 prior to going into full production - wing jig design and manufacture etc and also engine test rigs for the RR Trent engines.

Sad to hear production is drawing to an end but I can understand why.

The Tristar was an old bird Dad but respectful of me to affirm it was also a looker even though at every given opportunity you continue to diss Airbus because your a Boeing fanboy.We both really enjoy flying except for that take off bit and that landing bit and so as a consequence are connoisseurs of Airplane disasters with Aircraft investigation on the Discovery channel and in some instances we can actually beat the NTSB in finding due cause. Last night we both got it right as they forgot to set their flaps and slats for take of so regrettably no lift and the final protection for the aircraft had been disabled pre-take off because of a faulty sensor switch. I think from memory they had three opportunities to do this but because of delays time restraint and infernal 120 degrees summer heat in the cockpit it was regrettably omitted.

However once we are up there the views are immense and we take for granted the dedication and steadfast work that goes into creating this amazing technological marvel that has graced our skies throughout the Millenia. Not trying to big you up but you really do a splendid job carrying us mortals point to point and so hats off to your skill-set and bravery.Chicago blue is another pilot chap off here that also transverses the globe on his daily sabbatical flying out of Chicago where Ted Striker from Airplane fame miraculously set down his stricken 747 at O'Hare despite suffering flashbacks over Tota Bora.I think our golden age of flying was in the 70's and 80's alongside McDonald Douglas,the Boeing 747 and the L10 11'S.You could even spark up back then with impunity but only in the designated smoking sections.Our first ever flight was in 1979 in an Aviaco plane and the bug has been with us ever since.Speaking of Ted Striker here he is ferrying a sick child in need of a transplant into that Windy City.

I’ve done some super long flights on the Tri-Star after 4 tours of the Falklands... I always thought the flight was pretty comfortable

Our son is joining the RAF Voyager Sqn on promotion , It’s the Airbus now used for Military flights where the Tri-Star used to be employed... Great for him as he’ll get all his civvy engineering licenses

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.