Phil Foden - 2018/19 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought he played well against Hoffenheim but the few games after that (Rotherham home and Burton away) I thought he looked a bit lost, wasn’t impressive in either game, and looked to be having a similar kind of game last night in the first half.

Then second half, instead of running away from the ball making it impossible to be passed to (same in the Rotherham game, 38 touches in 90 minutes is close to being anonymous in midfield when we had 70% possession), he was finding space to be passed the ball in. Made a huge difference to his game and the game. Yes, it was when they started to get tired but he also started being more direct and running at them instead of getting the ball and laying it off then running off.

Whether it was Pep having a word or him sussing it out, let’s hope he’s learnt a lesson. Feel better about him now than I did after the Rotherham and Burton games.

It's almost as if he needs playing time in order to improve.

That old chesnut , give it a wipe, you knobhead .And then what ? Maybe he goes home with his man of the match trophy and has a chippy tea , or goes on to win the Balon D'Or , that answer is about as informative and open ended as your idiotic question ,and what the f*ck is mmmmmmh , hold on a minute i will ask my seven year old grandson , he will know.

Chippy tea sounds nice tbf.

Once they tired, his quality came to the fore
I think if you walk off a pitch,as an 18 yr old who has barely played any football this season, with a 91% passing accuracy rate, its fair to say that you have been quality throughout a game.
Not giving the ball away on a pitch like that is quite an achievement, imo

Folk who say he was 'quiet' first half..i really dont understand..he was,like every other City player intent on getting into the game,trying to establish a foothold,whilst not doing anything stupid in that central midfield area which would give Newport the opportunity to counter..The quality was there for all to see,...when he used the outside of his right boot(his weaker foot) to send Marhez down the right flank...so many..more experienced players would have slowed down a flowing move whilst trying to get the ball onto their stronger foot..in a blink of an eye an inch perfect pass was made; completely ignored by the commentator....or anybody really..

He contributed to a disciplined team 1st hslf performance in a tricky fixture..it must be some time that the lad has played in a match where the ball has been in the air so much..not many teams he comes up against play like that...to walk off the pitch with Yaya- like passing stats ,at that age,is ,imo incredible. Outstanding.

When you dont play regularly in football it takes most players weeks to get into their stride...look at kdb now,look back at sergio and more recently jesus when they have looked rusty coming back from inactivity over the years...gundog only now just getting into his groove..

To be a safe pair of hands in central midfield is all you can ask for in one of your rare outings at that age...the lad exceeded that tho...
He was man of the match.

Last edited:
I think if you walk off a pitch,as an 18 yr old who has barely played any football this season, with a 91% passing accuracy rate, its fair to say that you have been quality throughout a game.
Not giving the ball away on a pitch like that is quite an achievement, imo

Folk who say he was 'quiet' first half..i really dont understand..he was,like every other City player intent on getting into the game,trying to establish a foothold,whilst not doing anything stupid in that central midfield area which would give Newport the opportunity to counter..The quality was there for all to see,...when he used the outside of his right boot(his weaker foot) to send Marhez down the right flank...so many..more experienced players would have slowed down a flowing move whilst trying to get the ball onto their stronger foot..in a blink of an eye an inch perfect pass was made; completely ignored by the commentator....or anybody really..

He contributed to a disciplined team 1st hslf performance in a tricky fixture..it must be some time that the lad has played in a match where the ball has been in the air so much..not many teams he comes up against play like that...to walk off the pitch with Yaya- like passing stats ,at that age,is ,imo incredible. Outstanding.

When you dont play regularly in football it takes most players weeks to get into their stride...look at kdb now,look back at sergio and more recently jesus when they have looked rusty coming back from inactivity over the years...gundog only now just getting into his groove..

To be a safe pair of hands in central midfield is all you can ask for in one of your rare outings at that age...the lad exceeded that tho...
He was man of the match.

He needs more playing time. Sadly I fear that despite turning in a MOTM performance he won't even get on the bench in the next few games while one or possibly two others less deserving will.

He needs more playing time. Sadly I fear that despite turning in a MOTM performance he won't even get on the bench in the next few games while one or possibly two others less deserving will.

I've got to think he's got a good chance of starting or at least playing a decent chunk against West Ham. It's our 7th game in 23 days, after a massive week where we need the best XI twice in 4 days.

There's only so many times Pep can see him impress when given a chance and then not play him again until the next cup game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.