Riyad Mahrez - 2018/2019 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just don’t get him.

He’s got great balance and can cut inside and create space for himself to have a shot really well. But the shot is generally hopeless!

Then the rest of his general team play is very poor.

He doesn’t seem to understand when the right time to play a simple pass is. He doesn’t ever use his right foot then seems to just play the ball into space with his left if there is no option instead of moving his body round to play what should have been the right foot pass, with his left foot. When he gets himself into a good position to cross the ball or pull the ball back he generally just hits it and hopes for the best, not getting his head up and working out the right cross or pass to make.

Very very disappointed in him. Our record signing looks like a £20m squad player.

He looked better in five minutes on the left than he did in 85 minutes on the right last night though. Maybe something going forward that he plays on that side.

Great touch and shot for his goal.

Thought he was decent. Always looking to create something. Cut on to his right a lot more than usual, maybe he’s reading this thread.

Riyad also tried too hard to score and forced a lot of shots. Didn’t take the best option a few times either.

Still keeping the faith with him, how can you not when he has 9 goals and 10 assists in all comps while not performing anything close to his best and also not getting a run of games.

He's an odd one, isn't he? In fact, he wasn't poor last night, but I've not yet seen him deliver what I thought we had paid for. His first touch is terrific. He gets the ball from any distance, at any speed, and kills it stone dead. It's what he choses to do after that that leaves a fair bit to be desired. At Leicester all traffic went through him, and he was a very big fish in a rather small pond. I'm presuming that he's taking some time to adjust to his very different status and role with us. I'm reserving final judgement till next season, frankly, but I'm not too impressed so far.
But then, Bernardo took a season to bed in properly, and I have Bernardo as our player of this season, along with Fernandinho.

Riyad Mahrez came off the bench to score City's third and secure the trophy in the 2019 Champions League final...

Save this post.

;)

I don't think he's got it up top. Most of the squad are pretty intelligent footballers. They play head up and don't force it when it's not on. They play forward knowing there's always an option behind the ball. I wouldn't be surprised if Mahrez gives the ball away more than any other City player: whether for a goal kick or in a tackle or a bad pass. He doesn't create enough trouble from his usual spot on the right wing. He looks better going through the middle late on in games. But even then he looks like he's trying to force it. When he was at Leicester, he often had open space to run into because they sat back. We don't sit back. He'll be an effective, but rather expensive, sub when games get stretched.

I will have to disagree with you on that and time will tell whether who is right on this one.
So you think there are players playing worse than Mahrez that are continually getting more playing time and starts than he is do you? That's an interesting concept? You can't have it both ways.

Honestly think he should be tried in a central attacking role (in place of David for example for rotation). I think it could reduce his predictability where he can either cut left or fake and go right. Foden can play RW I feel also, so it shouldn't hamper his development.
Marrez looked pretty good on his debut in the states in a central midfield role..in fact he was quality.

Decent knock last night on what was, a very bobbly surface. Need more from him though, which he has in his locker

I found his goal the epitome of greed as it happens, Pep would of taken more from him squaring it to Phil for the Hat trick than the blast into the goal. It’s kind of a metaphor for his time here!

Mahrez was the main creative spark in a team of bang average players at Leicester. He's come to City, and now finds himself having to step up and make the grade. He is capable of doing so, but with all our players being as good as they are, he has no hiding place if he has an off game.

I do think it will come as his confidence grows, and that 90 minute knock at the weekend will do him no end of good. Pep is managing the situation perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.