Career Advice

Not a teacher myself, but I know a few people who have decided on becoming one after being unsure of what to do post-uni. Whilst most find it rewarding, the hours are insane and much worse than your average office job. As has already been mentioned, your extra holidays are taken up with marking and lesson planning. I think the idea you get tonnes of free time is a myth (at least at secondary/6th form level). The number of teachers leaving the profession is at an all-time high, especially given the cuts in resources at schools under the current government and the fact parents treat schools like day care centers rather than educational institutions. I wouldn't look at doing it unless you actually have a passion for it, otherwise it can be quite miserable.

Residential building developments in London are probably a lot quieter than in many other parts of the UK owing - in part - to Brexit and the house market slowing down faster than anywhere else in the UK. Investors are spooked as the notion that London will carry on growing isn't happening.

Smaller companies in the medium/long term will allow you to have more responsibility early doors, meaning you might be able to move to a larger firm in a few years when you'll have more experience than people the same age as you by virtue of being a bigger fish in a smaller pond. At your age I wouldn't be too concerned that the company you first work with is going to allow you to retire early as there's a 99% chance you won't be there in 5-10 years. It's all about experience when you're starting out - you'd be surprised how little people at big 4 consultancy firms know about anything of practical use in industry.

I'd struggle for positives at the moment.

Have a read of this teachers forum - it will give you an idea of what it's really like https://community.tes.com/forums/workplace-dilemmas.96/
The 1st sticky at the top of the page being the samaritans phone number should give you a clue!

Also, with your degree not being in a curriculum subject, I'm not sure you would get onto a pgce.

Must explain why there's a shortage. A worrying amount of unhappy/seriously stressed out staff on there.

I wouldn’t go into teaching if you think the working hours is a bonus. I know teachers who work 12 hour days Monday-Thursday, finish normal time on a Friday but are then working over the weekend too.

Also while you get to have “time off” you cannot take time off at any time other than school holidays where holidays are a lot more expensive and you’ll find yourself working a lot during these holidays or even in school teaching like normal at Easter and June half term hols anyway as Year 11/12/13 need teaching for their exams and SLT expect you to do it.

Also teachers do just as much data imputting and analysis as they do teach these days.

And unless you’re at a school in a nice area, behaviour in schools is at an all time low. Kids do not give a shit like never before!

I work in finance but I spent many years funding property development / investment companies and spent a lot of time working with them and with their advisers and instructing consultancies to work for my firm.

I recognise a lot of what you say around the recruitment preferences for the big firms. The industry was full of old money and there is a culture that comes with that, plenty of new money as well but old habits etc etc. The industry has a massive problem with sexism and diversity issues in general. That said there are some very rewarding jobs out there many in smaller firms, if you can find one that has interesting projects/clients and they leave you to get on with it then great. If you can work your way to a position directly for a developer then that can generally be interesting / rewarding work and where the big money can be made.

Coming to the end of studying for a degree in Building Surveying. I went to University at 22 and saw this course as a really good way into the industry with high earning potential.

I spent a year in industry at a small consultancy and hated it, full of self entitled cünts and really boring day to day. So I applied for some larger companies in London for graduate jobs, having no joy despite scoring higher than most other applicants on the recruitment tests and interviewing well. I think Brexit is having an effect on this, as well as maybe prejudice as I have clearly been one of the only candidates not to go to private school, on recruitment days I've spent down there.

I've been contemplating doing a PGCE and going into high school teaching, seeing the time off per year and working hours as a bonus, as well as holding a keen interest in mentoring young people.

I've mulled over maybe applying for uniformed public services jobs also, as a degree opens some pretty good roles up.

I don't know if I'm cutting my nose off to spite my face by not following through on a career in Building Surveying. The phone is going all the time with recruiters offering roles at smaller companies. My fear is taking a job and getting trapped in a place like this on pretty low money and having to work my way up in a small corporate business, like on my placement year, not my idea of fun. I'm financially motivated and want a career that will reward me for my work and enable me to retire young.

I'm open to relocation, but having spent 4 years in Yorkshire I never want to step foot in the place again, would probably avoid the Midlands as well. Could anybody from any of the above careers, or other backgrounds offer any sound advice?

Thanks a lot.
A useful wevbsie to check out is https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/ by registering you can also access help to get school experience, which can also help you make a more informed decision about teaching. It also gives info on how you can enhance subject knowledge.

work at the airport , hours are shite ,pay is shite ,it destroys your social life ,you wake up at silly o'clock,work outside in all weathers usually rain,even on your days off you wake up at silly o'clock because your body clock is fucked, but you get to wear a yellow vest and work boots

Large numbers are leaving the Emergency services at the first decent opportunity,that should tell you everything about such a career path.

Large numbers are leaving the Emergency services at the first decent opportunity,that should tell you everything about such a career path.
I’m a Fireman in Manchester and in the last 3 years I would guess that maybe 100 have left to go and drive a train for a lot more money

Coming to the end of studying for a degree in Building Surveying. I went to University at 22 and saw this course as a really good way into the industry with high earning potential.

I spent a year in industry at a small consultancy and hated it, full of self entitled cünts and really boring day to day. So I applied for some larger companies in London for graduate jobs, having no joy despite scoring higher than most other applicants on the recruitment tests and interviewing well. I think Brexit is having an effect on this, as well as maybe prejudice as I have clearly been one of the only candidates not to go to private school, on recruitment days I've spent down there.

I've been contemplating doing a PGCE and going into high school teaching, seeing the time off per year and working hours as a bonus, as well as holding a keen interest in mentoring young people.

I've mulled over maybe applying for uniformed public services jobs also, as a degree opens some pretty good roles up.

I don't know if I'm cutting my nose off to spite my face by not following through on a career in Building Surveying. The phone is going all the time with recruiters offering roles at smaller companies. My fear is taking a job and getting trapped in a place like this on pretty low money and having to work my way up in a small corporate business, like on my placement year, not my idea of fun. I'm financially motivated and want a career that will reward me for my work and enable me to retire young.

I'm open to relocation, but having spent 4 years in Yorkshire I never want to step foot in the place again, would probably avoid the Midlands as well. Could anybody from any of the above careers, or other backgrounds offer any sound advice?

Thanks a lot.
Ever thought about selling drugs?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.