The law has never changed but the interpretation has. The laws states nothing about making oneself bigger or “unnatural position” either but every ex ref always uses those terms when discussing penalty decisions for handball.

Not intending to be a tede but if you want to avoid giving a pen you move your arm away from the ball, don’t you. That’s what ota did. So, the movement was the very opposite of unnatural

Cool. So someone who moves their arm away from the ball, as opposed to towards it, is deliberately committing a handball offence? For a penalty to be given the rule requires the offence to be deliberate of course.

I respect your view, and that of SWP, of course. The point I am trying to make is that the stated aim of VAR is to clear up clear and obvious errors. It does no such thing. Limit it to goal line decisions, limit it to offsides if you like (tho evidence from cricket and tennis is that it is far from
Infallible on line decisions). Don’t have it in play for subjective decisions. Give the ref a camera to look at. Leave it to him
I am not defending the decision, it was very harsh. And agree VAR has to work better than that pantomime. Just saying it is wrong to say Ota moving his arm away from the ball is enough to say it wasn't deliberate, it's only part of the law.

Watch any game of football and 90% of defenders put both arms behind their backs once they square up in the penalty area. Micah Richards did it every time.
There is no requirement for players to put their arms behind their backs.

Just back from the boozer.
Personally I thought all the three major decisions that went against us were wrong.
Maybe if we'd be on the wrong end of one of them then fair enough, but all three FCUK OFF.
We weren't at our best but in this situation criticism is out of place, total praise to the boys is due for battling back to win with the ten men.
Are we human?
OR ARE WE CITY!

How is that post talking shite?

Actually answer the point.

If they wanted to really fuck us over, they use VAR and disallow one or both of the first and third goals. The fact you just say I’m talking shite and don’t bother addressing the point proves you don’t actually have an argument against it.

If that’s the level of your debate then don’t bother replying.

They fucked us over because he didn’t give the pen and it wasn’t a clear and obvious error. I don’t think the 2nd one was a pen, but VAR was right not to overrule because it wasn’t a clear and obvious error to give it.

Anyone would think the penalty decision knocked us out!!!

Well done to the players. Dug in and did what good teams do, despite flakey officiating. Great effort with 10 men. Roll on Sunday, Come on City!!!

Last edited:
Huw Edwards was basically crying when presenting Man City's win on the BBC News sports news.
Boo hoo sniff sniff...

Roger Johnson on Look North West said Manchester United were playing tonight and came back from 2-1 down!! (or words to that effect!! But he definitely said Manchester United) At the end of the item he then said "I got there in the end." after he had said City a couple of times!!! However there is no BBC bias toward the rags!!!!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.