New breed of away fan

I didnt see any trouble before or during the game apart from the point where a Schalke fan decided to throw a beer at De Bruyne when he went to take that corner. I wasnt sat in the away end but just next to it and from that point beer was being thrown around everywhere and it started to get a bit hostile.

After the game walking back to the coach was chaos. Young lads scrapping with each other. Witnessed a group of about 4 lads kicking off with another three and one getting headbutted (all City fans), people smacking car windows of the Schalke fans as they were queuing to get out of the car park, one lad bumped into my mate (accidentaly) and tried to make something out of it and when he got nothing out of it started shouting how he was ready for a battle. All concerned I would say were early 20's.

Its fucking pathetic. Seems to have happened over the last couple of seasons. I would be all for going back to having tickets handed out on the day of the game at a check point like it used to be if it cuts it down.

Sorry for the rant and if you disagree then that's fine but just my opinion.

It's not just at away games, sadly, or young lads.

The derby game last year, there was a young foreign couple who were queuing at half-time to get into the 93:20 bar who were wearing half and half scarves (a different debate)

It was shameful to watch as two fat 50 somethings attacked the lad, dragged the scarf off his neck and called him Munich this and that. His girlfriend looked petrified and our kid was ready to go and drop these two clowns, before the stewards moved in.

The irony was, they were actually City fans visiting for the first time. I wonder if they ever came back?

Too easy to blame cocaine and alcohol, as their was loads about away days before these lads were born
Agreed. So why do they do it then?

I think I may have the answer, and that is to upload to social media with a "look at us" bravado attitude. First and foremost, this is a minority element of blues which unfortunately seems to be a growing trend amongst younger fans needing to capture the moment on video to upload to Facefook YouTube Twitter Instagram etc.

I rarely go aways nowadays anymore, and I've only been to West Ham with @Indaparkside. He has mentioned several times to me on how some blues are more interested in booze and charlie on the concourse of watching the match. I can't understand the mentality of that to be honest, I want to see every minute of the game I can and i am game for a laugh, but....... After the game I was waiting for the train on nearby Pudding Mill station and a group of about 6 beak wired City fans were goading a larger group of about 20-25 West Ham fans on opposite platform. Some Hammers looked a bit game and would have easily slapped the smile off their stupid faces if it got nasty.

I like few beers at a game but the idiotic minority does not represent the majority of well behaved match going blues. The main reason I don't drink in Mary D's anymore is because I don't want to hear Munich chants in the back room. I had an argument about 3 seasons ago with a guy about my age happily singing Munich songs with his lad of about 20. I told him he was out of order and should know better than sing Munich songs with his son. The fuckin' idiot thought it was ok. : /

Another thread bashing younger supporters for no reason.
‘Who’s idea was it to let off that smoke bomb it could’ve ended off badly’
‘They’re all coked up and violent’
Not condoning any of that behaviour and not saying idiots don’t exist but these ‘incidents’ are all one offs.
Big generalisation

In my experience there is good & bad in all areas of life & football is no different. I’ve seen trouble at away matches both here & abroad but have been lucky in that I’ve managed on all but one occasion to avoid getting caught up in it. (The one occasion was the rags match at Wembley when a group of young rag supporters thought it would be fun to try to snatch the bag off an older woman & try to punch me, luckily for me two police officers came to my assistance.)

However I have also seen & experienced some really kind occasions as well. Similar to Newport last week where Newport & City Supporters were helpful & friendly. In fact the good occasions far outweigh any problem occasions.

So, as I say there is good and bad all around us & we, unfortunately, have to accept it. It doesn’t stop us trying to set a good example though. :-)

Being a coked up dickhead is not limited to new or younger fans. It's limited to the dickheads who want to get coked up. There are plenty of these dickheads in my generation (mid 40's) and unfortunately dickheads will always behave like dickheads because they are dickheads. Coke and ale just makes them bigger dickheads. Nor is it limited to City fans. Nor is it limited to football. Dickheads can be spotted everywhere.

Bang on mate. Being a dickhead is not age specific. I've seen enough dickhead behaviour from our fans over the years and on plenty of occasions it's been older fans who were responsible. The same goes for taking coke - plenty of 40 and 50-somethings do coke, so it's not just the younger lot.

Piss poor OP IMO which is unfairly pinning disproportionate blame on our younger fanbase. There were 6 of us who travelled over to the Schalke game - ages 58,50,48,48,16, and 15 - and we all had a blast, particularly in Dusseldorf on Tuesday night when hundreds of fans of ALL ages were bouncing around for hours to the Bernardo song without a hint of trouble.

Last edited:
a lot of people will be annoyed on the thread feeling that they are being accused of getting pissed up / coked up at games, both those fans that don't do this as well as young fans and those fans of ages that do have a drink and coke but are fine with it.

unfortunately if a person acts like an idiot at best of times, give that person drink and coke and it makes them 10 times worse.

Its a society problem and at all stadiums, clubs, concerts. Has to be said there is more of it going on and you see it more at away games, but defo all ages are guilty of it. A lot of fans do see an away game as going out with the lads and getting wrecked, seems football has taken a step back in some instances and its the trip away that is the top of list.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.