Kyle Walker : 2018/19 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
That tweet he deleted about Liverpool seems to have got under their skin.

Tactical masterstroke from Kyle.

I thought he had a decent game yesterday and I like the fact that his pace that nullifies a lot of hoofing tactics from other teams. Not perfect and had some real blips at times but I think he's played a big part in our success which may not be appreciated yet

I thought he had a decent game yesterday and I like the fact that his pace that nullifies a lot of hoofing tactics from other teams. Not perfect and had some real blips at times but I think he's played a big part in our success which may not be appreciated yet
Definitely his pace and tenacity are a valuable asset

Maybe not the mistakes he was making recently that put the opposition straight in on goal, but he’s still making some. Yesterday he did some weird drag back flick thing when he had a safe pass on to Ederson, gifting Chelsea possession in an area of the pitch where they had us outnumbered. It really could have lead to a goal if they worked it better. He also switched off, not looking at the play, whilst a ball was on its way to him and teammates had to wake him up. He’s still not there yet.
I cringed when I saw that.
He was on 'Walkerabout' again.

You just know our full back positions are going to get targeted.

He seems to play better when we play teams from London, it might be due to his previous rivalries. Did ok yesterday

Well I think he's awful and nowhere near good enough to play regularly for us imo. Yes he went through a bad batch where he was absolutely shocking, and yes he's through that and now playing better. But he still sticks out a mile in terms of his overall lack of footballing ability and frankly the shear number of really bad mistakes he makes. He can defend a bit, but he isn't consistent nor reliable and offers bugger all going forward. It's a NO from me.

I wonder what Barcelona fans used to make of Abidal back in the day?
Strange comparison. Yes, Abidal was prone to brainfarts, but technically he's in a different universe. He was Barca's 'Stones' that has ironed out stupid mistakes under Pep's guidance. As for Walker... I cannot even imagine him in that team, he would look hilarious playing with Xavi and Iniesta.

Barca's worst player in possession was Puyol, yet he's miles better than Walker - both technically and in terms of calmness on the ball. Otamendi is probably the closest analogy.

I have no idea how City have chosen such a limited player. He's a good athlete that defends very well against fast wingers. And that's it, he's below average on the ball. He rarely gets forward for a reason - Pep deliberately limits his time on the ball, as Walker is useless in possession.

Strange comparison. Yes, Abidal was prone to brainfarts, but technically he's in a different universe. He was Barca's 'Stones' that has ironed out stupid mistakes under Pep's guidance. As for Walker... I cannot even imagine him in that team, he would look hilarious playing with Xavi and Iniesta.

Barca's worst player in possession was Puyol, yet he's miles better than Walker - both technically and in terms of calmness on the ball. Otamendi is probably the closest analogy.

I have no idea how City have chosen such a limited player. He's a good athlete that defends very well against fast wingers. And that's it, he's below average on the ball. He rarely gets forward for a reason - Pep deliberately limits his time on the ball, as Walker is useless in possession.
Abidal was never that great technically, not on the level of the other players at least. He was renowned as an excellent defender who was physically well off and competent on the ball when necessary. In comparison to Alves on the other side, he was miles away as an attacker.

I'll tell you why City have chosen a 'technically limited' player. For the same reason they signed every other player. Years of scouting, forward thinking, working with Pep, detailing out every single element. There's a reason Walker was a part of a team that won 100 points and there's a reason he's still playing now ahead of Danilo.

I've personally learnt the hard way; being a critic of Fernandinho in recent years, that you can't underestimate defensive quality. He has it in spades. Yes he makes the odd mistake, but so did Kompany and Zabaleta and they were rightly well loved. Walker is an INTELLIGENT defender who's reading and positioning is far superior to most right backs, and that's where the Abidal comparison comes in. And yeah, he's a great athlete too. But he's not an idiot like some like to suggest.

Criticism of Walker is over the top and reeking of entitlement. Here's a great player who's not as flashy so naturally people will be harsh, just like they are with Gundogan. And yet here's a guy who's only second to Bernardo in terms of games played since the start of last season. He's also a player that's been played in at least 4 differing roles for club and country with no time for rest and deserves the same time all our other players have had to develop.

Trust me, I know there are plenty out there with higher ceilings than Walker. But there are very few that can match him right now, and for good reason.

Pep's not an idiot. If Walker wasn't good enough he wouldn't be playing. That's the treatment Zabaleta, Sagna, Clichy and Kolarov were getting towards their ends.

Let me first say I will always support Walker or any blue, but for me Walker is not good enough. He is playing because of his ability to get back and cover another teams counter attack which is valuable because of how high up the pitch we play, this is the reason I think he plays over Danilo. Even then when he gets back he's uncoordinated and I find myself holding my breath when he is defending. He offers 0 going forward. I honestly think you can count the number of forward passes he's had this season on 1 hand.

I think the Walker competition/replacement will come summer after this one. We need to sort DM and LB first. I think Pep thought he offered a little more going forward when he bought him but still needed a solid, physical full back who was used to playing in the PL. Again, Walker gives his all I'd never question his effort, just questioning his class.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.