Album of the day - Blur (The Great Escape)

BlueHammer85

51bXM69x8dL.jpg

The Great Escape is the fourth studio album by the English rock band Blur, released on 11 September 1995 on Virgin Records. The album received near-universal acclaim from critics on release and reached number one in the UK Albums Chart. It was the band's first record to crack the US charts, reaching number 150. l
ess than a year after the album was released, it was certified triple platinum in the UK.

The album continued the band's run of hit singles, with "Country House", "The Universal", "Stereotypes" and "Charmless Man". "Country House" was Blur's first single to chart at number 1 on the UK Singles Chart, beating Oasis' "Roll with It", in a chart battle dubbed "The Battle of Britpop".

The Great Escape is the final part of Blur's 'Life' trilogy, after Modern Life Is Rubbish (1993) and Parklife (1994). With Blur's 1997 self-titled album, the band would change direction and move away from Britpop in favour of a more lo-fi and alternative rock sound.

1. Stereotypes
2. Country House
3. Best Days
4. Charmless Man
5. Fade Away
6. Top Man
7. The Universal
8. Mr. Robinson's Quango
9. He Thought Of Cars
10. It Could Be You
11. Ernold Same
12. Globe Alone
13. Dan Abnormal
14. Entertain Me
15. Yuko & Hiro

Review 200

200th review! how has that happened ?! and not a bad one to celebrate this milestone, Blur with a great Britpop album which contains most of their well known hits,'Stereotypes’, Country House' famously beating Oasis 'Roll With It', 'Charmless Man' and 'The Universal' , whilst Damon Albarn rightly gets praised for his witty lyrics subjecting around loneliness and detachment on this album it is Coxon who provides much of the technical guitar sound element -some of these tracks are weak but they always looked to experiment. ‘The Great Escape’ is a melodic tongue in cheek take at the middle/upper class and B
lur at the peak of their popularity.

8.9/10

Last edited:
Graham Coxon....probably would never get mentioned in an all time " Guitar World " top 20. He's right up there for me and this is the album where he really gets his mojo. Charmless man being an example, distinctively Coxon. Great Album always overlooked due to it being the stepping stone the from " Parklife" Blur to "Song 2" Blur.
Saying that, it always made me smile that Roll With It and Country House went up against each other. Probably the weakest tracks from both parties!
It could've been Universal v Supernova.

Graham Coxon....probably would never get mentioned in an all time " Guitar World " top 20. He's right up there for me and this is the album where he really gets his mojo. Charmless man being an example, distinctively Coxon. Great Album always overlooked due to it being the stepping stone the from " Parklife" Blur to "Song 2" Blur.
Saying that, it always made me smile that Roll With It and Country House went up against each other. Probably the weakest tracks from both parties!
It could've been Universal v Supernova.

Yeh it did seemed to get criticised which is shocking when you look at the strength of those singles.

Very poor album for me. Not a patch on Modern Life Is Rubbish or Parklife. Seen to remember seeing an interview with Albarn who said they were forced to rush out the album by the record company who wanted to cash in on the Britpop thing and a few of the songs from this album were songs which didn't make the cut from Parklife

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.