Metrolink users

I was more querying the quote about overtime, I should have been clearer.

The comparison with the dark side is interesting. There are numerous lines going that way, with a new one to come, giving the poor deluded sods a choice of about 3-4 stops on different lines to pick a tram from. Metrolink seem to have gone down the route of the London Underground where trams run on a timetabled official line and are not deviated off that (hence the loss of direct Alt-Ashton and Bury-Ashton services). The logistics of moving trams around the network must mean there are generally more over that side of the city and over the border at the Swamp due to the number of lines, but I hear your point about Burnham jumping on their whinge.

The solution for us, I think, is more lines & trams rather than just more trams on one line.
But some lines have stopped.
There used to be a tram from Bury and one from Rochdale that went through Victoria and on to Ashton.
These now terminate in Piccadilly adding to the mayhem there.

The only direct tram comes from either Eccles or Media City, obviously the home to most of our fans.

This makes interesting reading if you have time to read it. Seems longer term all east / south east Manchester local rail operations are going over to Metrolink, along with the building of a tram tunnel from Piccadilly to Castlefield to reduce city centre congestion.
Don't think it will improve the situation at the Etihad, but could provide more options to /from Ashburys assuming the Hadfield / Marple routes become cross-city tram services...

https://assets.ctfassets.net/nv7y93...ft_Delivery_Plan__2020-2025__Exec_Summary.pdf

But some lines have stopped.
There used to be a tram from Bury and one from Rochdale that went through Victoria and on to Ashton.
These now terminate in Piccadilly adding to the mayhem there.

The only direct tram comes from either Eccles or Media City, obviously the home to most of our fans.
That's what I meant. You used to be able to get to most anywhere from anywhere on one tram. Bury to Alty, Bury to Ashton (or at least Etihad), probably had the odd ones to Media City, Airport etc, but they now seem to be sticking to set routes now meaning changes like on the London Underground. Except in London you are at least dry and fellow passengers have paid for a ticket whereas here it's stood on a cold, open platform surrounded by fare dodgers. It's probably easier to manage but makes it less appealing for passengers.

That's what I meant. You used to be able to get to most anywhere from anywhere on one tram. Bury to Alty, Bury to Ashton (or at least Etihad), probably had the odd ones to Media City, Airport etc, but they now seem to be sticking to set routes now meaning changes like on the London Underground. Except in London you are at least dry and fellow passengers have paid for a ticket whereas here it's stood on a cold, open platform surrounded by fare dodgers. It's probably easier to manage but makes it less appealing for passengers.
Fair point
But the London experience also has tubes running at every three to six minutes whereas we are only capable of trams every six to twelve minutes.

If I was a business around Deansgate, Printworks or the NQ I’d complain bitterly about the lack of fans in those areas who have moved to the south of the city centre in order to drink/eat and then get the tram in, because they’ve the lines that used to support that.

Does his response not answer part of your concerns by explaining why trams aren't available and what is being done to rectify it?

Personally the issue is that every tram has to go via the city centre and often requires a change on a crowded platform. Currently it's just not as quick, cheap, reliable or comfortable as driving by car, so there's absolutely no reason to use it, other than you might possibly be able to have a proper drink and negates the small chance you might get your car vandalised/stolen. It would cost our group of 4 people £25 to travel to the game. I still need to drive to the Met station so am prevented from the benefit of being able to drink unless I catch a bus to the met which adds another £5 each and 30 mins travel time each way. I live just 10 miles from the ground within the GM region. What a shambles.
They have been saying trains are not available (ie can't be purchased) on the routes from Manchester to Preston for more than 15 years. During this period the rest of Europe and most of the world have been busy upgrading their rolling stock and building new high speed rail routes. I don't believe a word Burnham or anyone else says on this issue. North West England has the worst transport infrastructure (roads are just as bad) in Europe (East or West). Our politicians are liars.

Well he (Burnham) is celebrating International Women's day and giving the keynote speech today!!

The Environment Agency and Highways England are there (along with other Government agencies) so I've asked a friend of mine, who is attending, if there is a question and answer session, to ask the question about when they will do something about Metrolink and also Piccadilly gardens..................... not holding my breath for an answer!!

Doesnt help your mood when youre already like sardines and some numpty on the platform shouts "Can you move down the carriage please?"

Metrolink a bloody nightmare after the game tonight, points failure on the Altrincham line.

All services south of the city disrupted with buses available as a replacement.

World class transport system my arse.

Stadium to home 45 minutes today in the car. The Northern Rail strike did me a favour pushing me to drive instead of public transport- no more train and tram for me.

Got the tram from Altrincham and being fairly early decided to get off in Piccadilly station and have a pint. At £4.30 for a pint of John Smiths I won't make that mistake again. I saw there was a train stopping at Ashbury's at 16:35 so jumped on that rather than queue and be jammed on the metro. Brilliant, empty train, there in five minutes and a nice gentle stroll to the ground.

Coming back packed Altrincham tram but I think there had been a problem. Got me in at 20:27 and my bus home leaves at 20:25. Great another hours wait I thought but by a miracle another driver was keeping mine talking as he thought the bus left at 20:30, result!! First time the bloody transport has ever gone in my favour!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.