Homesick

I've been in Australia now over 30 years and I understand how the op is feeling.... I felt very homesick after about 5 years and I ended up returning and living in Stalybridge for 3 years, eventually I couldn't wait to get back to Australia as I love the lifestyle here and the climate, I live near the beach so that probably helps I think I will probably die in Australia. My kids have grown up here and this is their home.
So my advice to the op is see how you feel in two or three months and if you feel the same try moving back and seeing if that makes you feel better.

Last edited:
No chance. Left the UK 18 years ago and don’t regret the decision. I have a beautiful wife, lovely home, a job I love, and I live in a place people pay to visit.
If you still feel homesick after 6 months, especially in a place like Amsterdam, then maybe living abroad just isn’t for you. It’s not like you’re stuck on the other side of the world.

As many have said, give it a few months (6 minimum), I have been in KL for 7 years now. I love being in this part of the world, so easy and cheap to fly off to another SE Asia country. Try to find out what activities your colleagues do, football etc, join in, you will soon make friends. I would think that most local people in "Dam will speak English.

So I been in NZ for about 15 years never got homesick ... Been home once .. even after my wife passed me and my son discussed it and he wanted to stay .. don't get me wrong it was a bit tough .. I don't really hang with people from the UK .. I have kiwi friends that were awesome.. join the Freemasons or the rotary .. you will always be doing stuff ... Get out and make friends is my only real advice ...

Last edited:
As many have said, give it a few months (6 minimum), I have been in KL for 7 years now. I love being in this part of the world, so easy and cheap to fly off to another SE Asia country. Try to find out what activities your colleagues do, football etc, join in, you will soon make friends. I would think that most local people in "Dam will speak English.
I lived in Petaling Jaya for a short time, loved Malaysia, Batu Caves, Genting Highlands, Kuantan, all great memories. Tropical weather got to me though.

In answer to your question, about 5 minutes.

I'm 20 years and counting (living in Ireland).

Beautiful country,
Wonderful people.
Safe.
Clean.
No real worries of me or my family being robbed, raped or murdered.
Great standard of living
Great heath system (yes it is)
Great culture and one which fits well with my own.
No 3 lane carparks (least not where i am outside of the pale)

Love it. Wouldn't go back home in a box tbh.

Thank you Ireland! :)
sounds fantastic mate. Where in Ireland are you?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.