Thomas Cook

For anybody looking to make a long trip out of this should we get there worth noting that England are in the nations league in Portugal for the week after.
Semi v Holland in Guimaraes. Already got a week booked in Portugal so should we get to the final I think I’ll be ignoring my outward flight and going straight from Madrid to Porto and starting off early.
I was watching Rip Off Britain a a few months ago & the upshot is be vary careful not using an outward flight as airlines will cancel the return one and sell it again.

I looked into various options a while ago for a group of us (10/12) but it never materialised to getting something booked for one reason or another. What I had proposed is still available and pretty wallet friendly compared to flying/staying in Madrid that weekend. If anyone is interested, I'll stick brief details below (just checked some of them now for prices)…

Friday 31st May, Manchester to Valencia, 16.10 - 19.40
Monday 3rd June, Valencia to Manchester, 14.35 - 16.15.....£160pp return (Ryanair so luggage is extra)

Hotels in Valencia are still looking good for pricing and availability. Can get a room for about £50 a night if you're happy to stay further out the centre, or get a solid 3/4* central option from around £85+ a night (Trivago is your friend for that)

If there is a group of you, probably say 4+ people, then looking to rent an apartment would be the more cost effective option. I haven't checked just now but when we were looking at 5 or 6 bed apartments there were a number available right in the centre and it really brought the average total down per person, try Airb&b but also homeaway website.

Valencia - Madrid train takes around 1 hour 45 minutes depending on which service you choose. I think they have dynamic pricing similar to that of the UK where the prices increase the closer you get to departure. Just looked now and there is a direct train leaving Valencia at 10.40, into Madrid at 12.27 on the Saturday lunchtime for £19.97. Coming back Sunday morning, the first train isn't until 08.40, back into Valencia for 10.33, again £19.97. (as per Trainline website) That does make it a very long night, even longer if we get there and lose! If you're in a group or encounter some people who have done similar, jumping in a minibus or large cab and breaking the fare many ways might make more sense than hanging around until 08.40. There is also a flight from Madrid to Valencia that morning, leaving at 08.10 (£37) so you could book that and head to the airport in the early hours.

Just done a very quick search and one way minibuses from Madrid to Valencia start from £741 for a 10/13 seater, through to £787 for a 16 seater and 'only' £798 for a 19 seater which actually works out pretty good value if you could fill it for the 360km journey.

So as an example, if you're a couple, want to stay in a decent central hotel in Valencia, happy to pre book the trains to/from Madrid then you're looking at about £340pp for the weekend including those Ryanair flights (another option would be to book the flights which will be none refundable, and book a hotel that offers free cancellation, so if City don't make it you can choose to cancel and write off £160 or crack on and have a weekend in the Spanish sunshine)

Hope someone finds that wall of text either useful or at least interesting!

Last edited:
Three of us booked to Madrid but staying in Palma for the weekend. Flying back to Palma first thing Sunday, so no need for hotel in Madrid as they are ridiculously priced! If we don't get there, will have golfing weekend in Majorca & lose Palma / Madrid flights!

What are the traines like back to Parma the evening of the game. This sounds like a plan

What are the traines like back to Parma the evening of the game. This sounds like a plan

Parma is in Italy :), but Palma that @Macca Two mentions is in Mallorca - so you'll need to get on a plane.

5987-palma-locator-map.jpg

Parma is in Italy :), but Palma that @Macca Two mentions is in Mallorca - so you'll need to get on a plane.

5987-palma-locator-map.jpg

Arrr I see, thought he said Malaga for golf and assumed there was a palma near there.

Looking at train times out of Madrid to Valencia and Malaga it seems any fans in the city at the end of the game will be pretty much captive there until the traines start running again in the morning, not a great option with 2 under 14s

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.