BBC sport best overseas player

Apparently all the foreign players only came to England because of Eric Cantona. I am so pleased I watched the program last night whilst making tea because I never knew that fact....... would love to see where any player who joined City from abroad says, 'I joined City because of Eric Cantona'

tbh I thought Klinsmann was the catalyst for foreigners coming over into the Premier league. Sounds like they're rewriting history there.

Personally I would go back further in time to another German!!!
Absolutely.. Trautmann was a huge star, inspired people from all walks of life, not just in football, plus a whole generation of would-be goalkeepers, including Bob Wilson and (the greatest of them all) Gordon Banks..

tbh I thought Klinsmann was the catalyst for foreigners coming over into the Premier league. Sounds like they're rewriting history there.

You can go back further than that if you like. I remember Mühren and Thijssen coming over to join Ipswich Town at the end of the seventies. That created quite a stir at the time. Thijssen was even voted Player of the Year. Now I'm not defending Cantona (or attacking him for that matter, I can't be bothered), but it does rather look as though what had been a trickle up to then became more of a flood. It's obviously simplistic to say it was “because of Cantona”. It was more to do with the times, the money coming into the English game and, I presume, more relaxed regulations about EU sportsmen plying their trade in the UK.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.